Feeding garden birds from an upstairs window

Hi everyone I’m new to this forum, this year I have decided to get a window bird feeder for my bedroom window. I used to face the main road and I didn’t have any joy with any birds coming to my feeder. In late October I moved rooms facing the back Garden. I don’t have any bushes, trees or flowers in my garden and I’m not able to get any either unfortunately. 

I admire the wildlife and I think it would be really cool if birds came to my feeder how can I attract birds to come to my feeding station that’s on my window? I live in Greenwich I’ve seen some birds fly around which is what prompted me in the beginning to get food for them. 

thank you

• I think, given your description of the garden that you might struggle to attract birds to window feeders. Is it at ground floor or above. The higher up the more difficult it might be to attract a variety and you could end up with pigeons dominating your window sill
  • I was only talking to a neighbour a couple of days ago about one of these feeders, and like you, she has no trees or bushes nearby, and her feeding station on the window was a big flop, in more ways than one.

The birds never came and during the hotter days the suction cups gave in to the heat and the feeder fell to the ground spilling all the food out, much to the delight of the local grey squirrels and wood pigeons....

I'm a great believer in sometimes you have to try these things, what suits one may not suit another.

To encourage birds, suet blocks or balls may be a good starter, certainly for winter, but don't be surprised if it doesn't attract the birds.

Whatever, please keep us updated with how things go, you just never know, but I feel it will be an uphill battle.

• Hello Mike & Dave thank you for your responses I highly appreciate it. In regards to the photo I added that yesterday afternoon I figured if I had a pic maybe it might help others see what I have done already.

I spoke with the owner of the house and they are happy for me to decorate the gardens down stairs to help encourage wildlife which makes me so happy. Will give me something to do during winter before spring comes.

For the window suctions I’ve never had a problem with it falling even when I tried in the spring/summer at the front I used oil which helps hold it to the window.

The area I live in doesn’t get squirrels luckily but we do get normal pigeons who I’ve named lol Bop, Boppy and Boppella (the way they walk Joy) If I put food out in the ground they eat it no problem they don’t go to the feeders as they prefer the ground. I give them fruit or odd bits of toast So it’s easier for them to digest. They do get seeds and fat balls too.

I will keep you updated especially in the new year I’m excited to see how it all goes :)

From Wildlife Lilly
  • Hi again Lilly. I'm guessing from your pic, the bit of garden to the right of the fence (bottom right corner) will be what you can "decorate"? (Kind of the owner to allow you :o) )
    If you can post a pic of your bit of garden, I'm sure the more horticultural minded folk on here will be able to give you advice on pot plants etc that would be beneficial. Be careful with food on the ground or you will possibly become over run with pigeons (or possibly worse case scenario, rats)
  • Hiya pimpernebloke yes to the right is my bit of the garden I am blogging my journey with this hobby I have over on wildlifelilly.wordpress.com/ on there I will post pics of the spaces I’m going to be working with.

The bit of grass you can see that’s all blocked off I have a small concrete area nearer to my end my garden is originally 22ft but we fenced it off so it’s manageable reasonably in 2020.

When I put food out for the pigeons I do it when they are there. The food is all gone by the time the next day arises. Thank you for the pre warning though.
  • Hi Lilly,

I have a couple of suggestions, if your landlord is permitting you to put feeders out in the garden. Keep them about 2 meters away from the fencing as I bet there are plenty of cats about and it's the same for hight. Start small and simple - look for No Mess bird seed so that you keep spillage to a minimum - some of the finches if you are lucky enough to attract them are really messy feeders and will fling seed all over the place. Only put food out once a day and bring the feeders in at night, I know that might mean the earlier feeders won't get to fill up early but it might help to keep the ratties down. There is nothing quite like seeing a rat climb to get to a feeder to upset the neighbours. Good luck
  • if it was me i would probably try putting a bird feeder right in the centre of the grass so the birds can sit on the fence and watch before they fly to the feeder. normally they'd sit in a nearby tree or bush but the fences might be okay if they're only a couple of metres away. don't do it any closer than that because you might get squirrels leaping from the fence. put 3 or 4 feeders on it with different foods in, put a squirrel baffle on the pole to stop the rats, and maybe put a bird bath flat on the ground as well.

to give myself the best chance i'd have sunflower hearts (not the black ones), peanuts, suet balls, and one of those covered hanging trays as well, because robins dont seem to like clinging on to the hanging feeders.

once you've got some birds coming to the feeder you might have more luck with the window feeder

• Hi everyone, I thought I’d give an update on my bird feeder. I’m so delighted to say that just now I had my first two Starling visitors munching away. I did end up changing food as no birds were coming. I changed it to meal worms as I did some research on what birds fly around my area and a lot of starlings, blackbirds and wood pigeons come. I did try to get a photo but I was unable to get a clear shot of them. 

so I’ve got this one from google for now. 

• Haha, thank you Dave, when I went to have a little look they did fly away. I tried to be a discreet as possible. However, when I put more meal worms out for them I could hear them waiting above the roof which was so sweet. Once I closed my window and my curtain they both flew immediately down to the feeder.

Have a great day,
    WildLife Lilly Herb