Feeding garden birds from an upstairs window

Hi everyone I’m new to this forum, this year I have decided to get a window bird feeder for my bedroom window. I used to face the main road and I didn’t have any joy with any birds coming to my feeder. In late October I moved rooms facing the back Garden. I don’t have any bushes, trees or flowers in my garden and I’m not able to get any either unfortunately. 

I admire the wildlife and I think it would be really cool if birds came to my feeder how can I attract birds to come to my feeding station that’s on my window? I live in Greenwich I’ve seen some birds fly around which is what prompted me in the beginning to get food for them. 

thank you

• Afternoon lilly,

A tricky one this. I'm sure that someone (or sometwo) will come with some recommendations for window-mounted feeders. But I can't help thinking that a lot of people spend a lot of time keeping birds away from windows, birds and windows not being a great mix.

I'll chance my arm and suggest that rather than bringing the birds closer to you, you need something to bring you closer to the birds (a bit more effort required from you, but easier on the birds, who are busy anyway).

Anyone from the Community know someone doing discovery walks in Greenwich? A kind of... Ed Drewitt of the East?

All the best from the Swiss Jura hills, with a clear, blue, cloudless sky, snow dusting the treetops, and temperatures so cold that almost anyone from the UK would just die immediately if they set foot outside (like in a movie) - 

Dave (off to light the fire)

• In reply to Dave - CH:

I was expecting you to come up with a catapault or something similar, Dave, after reading the heading :o)

RSPB shop has some stick on feeders Lilly. I don't know how good they are, nor which food would be best for your area's birds, but an internet search of Greenwich Bird sightings or something similar will give you a general idea, I expect

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

I'll just add, however, with Bird flu on the rise currently I would be tempted to hold off from feeding until things are more stable

PimperneBloke said:
    I was expecting you to come up with a catapault or something similar, Dave

The compulsory UK garden trampoline, PB. I just didn't want to put lilly off...

PimperneBloke said:
    with Bird flu on the rise currently I would be tempted to hold off from feeding until things are more stable

And unless I'm mistaken, you have it (the weather) pretty mild right now...

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Turning cold just after Christmas I think (cold being a relative term!)

PimperneBloke said:
    Turning cold just after Christmas I think

You may need those flip-flop innersoles... 

Dave 

• In reply to Dave - CH:

I don't flip-flop...not with my toes and T-Rex arms...it's too much for anyone to resist!
  • I think, given your description of the garden that you might struggle to attract birds to window feeders. Is it at ground floor or above. The higher up the more difficult it might be to attract a variety and you could end up with pigeons dominating your window sill

Cin J

Hello PimperneBloke, I have a stick on window feeder already, I was more thinking of the little birds that I see flying around in my neighbours garden. The neighbours don’t feed them.

Thank you for the tip though :) I will try giving Greenwich bird sighting a research.

I was thinking maybe if I added some flowers onto my window ledge somehow that might attract the birds to the feeder? I’m totally new to this still and it’s when I finally move (get my own place) that I can go all out with plants on a balcony/garden to help the birds.