Bird Pastry Recipes

My first try at bird pastry tempted Blackcaps into the garden for the first time.

Here's the recipe I came up with. I haven't seen a lot of recipes written fully down so please share your own recipes for bird pastry!

Plain flour - 250g
Lard - 125g
Peanuts - 100g
Sultanas & raisins - 100g
Apple - 1

Grind up the peanuts, sultanas and raisins together in the food processor. Mix the lard and flour in the food processor. Mix the two mixtures together. Chop the apple and mix it in. Use water and flour as needed until you have a dough like consistency. 

• Well done on making the pastry Rokusili and to get new visitors in the Blackcaps, an added bonus.
    I think folks add whatever they fancy to the flour and fat mix, I don't know if there is a set recipe.
    Other things you could add are, grated cheese (lower in salt the better), suet pieces, sunflower hearts, cranberries.
  • Thanks! I'll have to try cheese next time.
    Mostly the thing I was unsure of was what proportion of lard to flour and nuts/seeds. I saw some people mention using as much lard as flour but I'm not really sure which one is better.
  • I would use half the fat to the flour mix, so 250g flour to 125g fat or if you like me still like to use lbs and ounces, 10ozs flour to 5ozs fat, as near to anyway but you can make whatever quantity you want, more or less..