Feeding pigeons

Hi

I'm after some advice please. For the past two years I've been feeding some pigeons across the road from where I live. They roost under next doors solar panels but I don't feed them in the garden I feed them on a small grassy area across the road where people walk their dogs.

There are between 20 - 30 that land. I put two small bag fulls down (poop bags) of seed & peanuts. The Council recently put a letter through all the doors on our road asking for any bird food etc to be kept to a minimum due to a complaint about rats in the area. 

I do feel like someone has complained about me feeding the pigeons as I've had a few odd looks from dog walkers and people standing outside by their houses but the letter was a generic one to everyone so I can't be certain. I think people don't like them flying over their cars and roofs when I am feeding them.

I don't think the food I am putting down is causing rats as it's gone within a few minutes. Two crows also land and sometimes the seagulls (they cause a lot of commotion unfortunately with the noise they make).

It's upsetting me the thought of not feeding them. I would rather stop their food supply gradually rather than all of a sudden particularly in this weather. I feed them every other day but I've not fed them for a few days and they come into my garden and look in as if they are asking for their dinner.

I don't know what the rules are but if anyone complains about me feeding the pigeons after receiving that letter can the Council take it further? 

I know the neighbours hate them roosting under their solar panels & they've complained over them. I think they are waiting for the Council to sort the solar panels out but in the meantime I think people think they are staying because I am providing food. I don't know if this is true or not but I would they'll continue roosting there even if I'm not feeding them? 

It's causing me so much stress. I've argued with my family over them. It may sound pathetic but I hate them looking in at me when I can't feed them and they might be starving. I wish I had no feelings.

Has this happened to anyone else and do you think I would still be ok feeding them if I try to gradually reduce their food as the weather gets warmer. I hate causing my family upset over them as they've also told me to stop but I don't want the pigeons starving either.