How do I deter woodpigeons from fouling the birdbath?

I love woodpigeons and really enjoy seeing them in the garden.  They, along with most of my garden visitors, make a great deal of use of the birdbath.  The problem is that after they finish drinking or bathing they like to perch on the rim looking outwards contemplating life for five minutes or so, with the inevitable consequence!

My worry is that the other birds have to drink polluted water until I can clean out the mess, which I have to do most days.  I hope it doesn't harm them at all.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 20/07/2010 04:33

hi Keeta

Good point about the Wood Pigeons

Yes, I understand where you are coming from here

Wood Pigeons love to park their whole bodies in the water and sit there for hours.

Then get out out the water, and drink it after they have bathed in it Yukkkk!

Yes and that poo they leave behind are like submarines floating in the water ekkkk

I have often wondered if the water if affected by the poo too LOL

Love to know the answer myself - someone will know!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Keeta and Kathy

I have exactly the same problem in that I also have to clean out my bird bath daily because of the 'pigeon poo' in it.

I'm afraid that I don't know the solution either.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Just like woodpecker, I clean the birdbaths at least once a day, or even just pour out the fouled water and refill if I am in a rush. I think it could do other birds harm if left for days.

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Hi Judi

My bird bath is a sort of marble effect black coated concrete style thing, and I have an old brush (the kind that came with a dustpan to put it in). So I brush out all of the fouled water onto the lawn, splashing it liberally all around the bird bath, so that all of the surrounding lawn gets a bit of water, then I tip in a bit of water from my watering can full of clean water, and brush that out as well.

Then I refill it up to the top ready for the next day. :-)

Best wishes Chris

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 20/07/2010 05:37 in reply to Woodpecker

Hi Chris

I have one of the sturdy plastic ones from the RSPB that are easy to purchase to this day.

I have an old basin and I tend to put hot water on the surface of the bath and clean it with some disposal cleaning clothes

I find that alge gets bad if hot water is not applied evey so often along with the Pigeon poo too.

As you say it is using the old water to water the lawn

So it is hand power with me.

The brush and the pan sounds a great idea dn i will ourchase one for the sole purpose of cleaning out the bird bath.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Nicki C said:
    The brush and the pan sounds a great idea dn i will ourchase one for the sole purpose of cleaning out the bird bath.

Hi Kathy

Mine seems to have bristles like those old style brush heads, rather than soft nylon bristles. I suppose it depends on the surface of your bird bath, but I would recommend a firmish bristle :-)

Best wishes Chris

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 20/07/2010 06:05 in reply to Woodpecker

Hi Chris

Thank you for your advise

I will hunt out the hard bristle ones at a hard ware store, and see if they have a heavy duty brush

The ones for in the house are a little to gentle - me thinks!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi all,

Good to have the advice on how to clean the birdbath, but does anyone know if the murky water is any danger to the other birds that come to drink?  A lot do, especially in this hot weather.  I clean out the bath very regularly, but obviously I can't be watching it all the time!

• Hi Keeta,

Birds drink muddy/dirty water all the time but when it is contaminated with bird poo especially large bird poo in a small area, it can't be good.Hence why we are always reminded of hygiene regarding our feeders/tables and baths.Like Woodpecker, i also use a sturdy brush but i am very fortunate in that i can clean the baths as many times as needed now we are retired.

I have 5, easy to clean stone baths.

We have 4 Woodies visit 1 of which almost lives here and sits in one of our baths for hours.I pop out and clean it when its gone but sometimes like Judi,i just tip it out.I hose everything down once a week too.

I think with all the hot weather and lack of rain it has been more difficult for those working this year .I know my baths have had to be cleaned much more often.Mind you, we are getting our fair share of the wet stuff now ha ha.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• We have an aviary in the garden so the birds get fresh water everyday............and the garden birds do too.....

Hubby goes round every morning with a full bucket and shares it all around,the aviary birds have a green plastic birdbath...actually they have 3 in there....

2 with seed in and the other is filled to overflowing....with water........the stone bird baths are cleaned everytime he changes the water,better be safe than sorry.......

THANKYOU FOR READING

SUE and LUCKY..just call me    Mrs Early Bird.....x

Our house operate's  soley for our animals and birds......Love me love my animals........