soaking mealworms

hello all, i have just brought some dried mealworms for my resident robin, it says on the pack you can soak them in warm water to re-hydrate them, my question is for how long? I did try soaking some but it was for over 1/2 hr and they still were not very good. Is there a minimum time to soak them to be safe for the robin as i assume he/she has young chicks? Regards Jason.
  • An alternative idea from a novice. Here's the bottom line first: I cut the mealworms in half, pour on some warm water, and shake them around for just a few seconds before draining. By the time they're served up outside, they're as wet as they'll ever be.
    So why? (1) Dry ones blow away in the wind, and just break when robins try to pick up three at a time to feed young. (2) Whole wet ones are tough not soft, and small birds struggle with them. (3) When halved, the water gets inside so they get wet much faster. (4) Cutting them is a faff, but actually doesn't take long; crumbling by hand just creates a lot of useless powder. (5) I wouldn't fancy eating meat that's soaked in water for ages. (6) Note: Wet ones spoil very quickly outside, so only put out enough to be taken immediately (they will be).