Bird feeding --- tale of woe !

Now, like millions of people I have always thrown any waste food , breadcrumbs etc out onto the lawn for the garden birds to eat. I have had a huge variety of species, in fact every type of bird I can recognise with the exception of owls and ostriches ! After reading articles by Mr William Oddie and other illuminaries of the birding world I realised that what I needed was a feeding station. I bought myself one of these poles with dangly bits along with several tube feeders and nut holders to hang on it. Following the advice of my local animal feed centre I bought a selection of nuts, seeds , sunflower hearts and fat balls and managed to set it all up. To birds this display of mouthwatering fayre must be the equivilent of a visit to a Gordon Ramsey Restaurant for a meal of cordon bleu cuisine . And what has been the outcome of all this ------ Sweet BA Not a single blooming bird has eaten here. They still come to the garden. Dunnucks , blackbirds .various tits , even a pair of red legged partridge and many others . They wander around the lawn looking for scraps and perch on the fence next to the feeding station but can`t seem to see it Am I doing something wrong or are the birds just stupid
  • Hi Graham,   once you add a new area of feeding or feeders or even move them to a new position, it usually takes time for the birds to start using them as they tend to be very wary of new set ups or feeders, etc,  so don't give up hope just yet.   As long as it is far enough away from nearby shrubs, twigs, branches that a predator could use to pounce and not too far out in the open as to take away cover for the birds should they need to dash into for protection should a sparrowhawk or such pass by and try their luck, then all should be ok.    Give it time and I'm sure you will see the birds enjoying the new feeders and treats.   If you put whole nuts out at this time of year it is best to have them inside a dedicated peanut feeder (as you probably already have) as young chicks could possibly choke on whole nuts.  Another way to feed birds is with raw pastry:  plain or wholemeal flour, lard  (half fat to flour ratio) add a handful of grated mild cheddar, a few sunflower hearts or suet pellets or mixed seed, bind with a little cold water enough to bring the pastry together without it being too sticky.   You can put the pastry into a fat ball feeder or suet cage or stick bits on the twigs or shrubs and the birds will love it  (except for Greenfinch, Goldies, Siskins which just like sunflower hearts or Nyger seed)   Its a handy way to supplement expensive bird food and cheap supermarket branded flour, lard and cheese is plenty good enough.    Good luck and hope your feeders bring the birds flocking to them in due course.

• Hi Graham,

what I would also suggest is to look at the type of feeder you are using. 'Our' birds are very particular, they prefer some type feeders and not others. Only last year we splashed out to get rain protectors for our feeders (these see through plastic things you put on top of the feeders to protect the seed and birds from getting wet). I proudly put them up expecting the birds to be grateful and you know what? None of them came anywhere near the feeders! All the birds disappeared. Took the protectors off and they were back again. 'Our' birds don't like anything with a protector and some type of feeders at all. So try different designs to see if some get 'empty' before others do.

Best of luck!

• Thanks very much for your replies.

I think the local birds have got used to this new erection in my garden and have started to visit their new restaurant.

I have seen blue tits , long tailed tits .goldfinches , dunnucks. starlings, blackbirds,jackdaws .Rook,magpies and some unidentified varieties

No owls or ostriches yet !!

Before long this will be the most popular bar/ restaurant in the area,

Graham

• Enjoy the view then! Glad it's working out.