feeding wild birds in public laws? Northern Ireland/How to deter Seagulls

Hello, hoping someone can give me some clarification on the laws surrounding feeding birds in public (parks etc) in Northern Ireland.

As far as I am aware we only have 1 law on it being illegal to do so and that is Conway Square in Newtownards Co.Down and specifies pigeons. 

I like to photograph corvids and have a particular bunch I go to to do so, I have known these birds a number of months and they live on the coastal areas near Belfast. Co.Down I do entice them with a small handful of dried dog kibble, being careful not to scatter too much so that there is no waste. 

I usualy go in the morning or later towards dusk as there are less people or no one around and do my best not to disturb people. 

I was unfortunately accosted by a dog walker who had her dog off lead. I have no idea where they came from as I thought I was alone at that time. 

She aggressively confronted me about her dog eating the kibble (I should point out that I do not leave massive piles of tood around, I throw down a few biscuits at a time) and I suggested she may want to put her dog on a lead. before I got any further she launched a full scale attack on me and threatened me with the police as what I was doing was illegal. Now as far as I am aware and having previously checked the laws here, there is no law that states I cannot feed them. 

She insisted and screamed over the top of me that what I was doing was illegal and she pulled out her phone to call the police to make a complaint.

I am autistic with a side of ADHD and multiple physical disabilities, so her aggressive attitude caused a major meltdown for me. I was unable to comprehend anything after that point, and her dog continued to approach my dog who is old and has cataracts.

So am I wrong and is she right? I have checked multiple times and cannot find anything legal that says I cannot feed the birds (responsibly), maybe I missed something? 

now for the seagulls. obviously they have seen the crows being fed and are now a nuisance and getting in the way of my photo opportunities. I have elected not to go back to that area for a time in the hopes they will move along or forget me and choose a different area for my photography opportunities. 

How long should I stay away? could I disguise myself?  do they emigrate for winter soon? is there any way I can not attract them? 

why does life need to be this difficult.. thanks for anyone with any help/suggestions. 

I have had a tough year with a lot of bereavements and my mental health is at an all time low. this was literally the life ring I was clinging to for the last 4 months and now I feel Ive lost that too. 

thank you 

• Hello Finchie and welcome to the community forum.    I'm sorry to hear you had such a nasty encounter with that woman and it sounded very over the top with her aggressive manner towards you.   If she doesn't want her dog to consume the kibble she should have had her dog on leash as you say but often "some" dog walkers are a law unto themselves unfortunately.    unless your park/coastal area has specific signage requesting not to feed the birds then you are perfectly entitled to use your discretion to put down a little food at a time and enjoy watching the birds and taking your photographs as being outdoors, enjoying nature is exactly what a lot of people need to alleviate anxiety or stress.    A lot of disabilities are hidden (like your ADHD and autism) and many people don't stop to consider this and launch automatically into verbal attack.     Gulls can be a nuisance, especially in public areas and are very opportunistic;  they will be attracted by any food they see, hence a lot of coastal areas have a "no feeding"  policy as it can disturb people's enjoyment of the seaside area with noise, poop and gulls will swoop down which can scare folk.      Maybe try look for a different area a little more inland which gulls do not frequent if you can as corvids can be seen almost anywhere.     I hope you continue to enjoy photographing the birds and watching them and don't let one unwarranted verbal attack stop you getting out into nature and enjoying all it has to offer.     

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Hazel, thank you so much for your lovely response. I appreciate it. 

there is no signage, but I really would prefer to avoid the seagulls. they are lovely but I do keep birds at home and am concerned about bird flu. although I do take bio security measures before I go near my birds anyway.  

there is a park over the road from there, I am hopeful if they see me walking that way the corvids would maybe catch on and follow me, I know I saw one of my murder there a couple of months ago. Shes a very distinctive leucistic winged hooded crow. I call her phoenix. I haven't seen her for a few days so hope shes ok. 

I have a few special ones: The Bishop, a rook with a broken wing/s (self healed or born that way) and Rumple this years hooded with dropped wings but been like that since a fledgling. he gallops across like a dog when he sees me haha. 

I do go there with my dog, so I hope if I stop feeding there the gulls will leave me alone? they do recognise me now :( 

thank you again, at least now I don't think I will be arrested or anything. Slight smile