Starlings

I have starlings that nest in my loft every year. I’m happy to have them there as they don't cause any trouble. Additionally, starlings are now listed as endangered, and roofs are important habitats for them. I like to do my bit to help wildlife when I can.

However, yesterday a starling fledgling poked its head through a small hole in my kitchen ceiling where my water pipes run. It seemed to be calling for its parents. My kitchen is currently being renovated, so those pipes haven’t yet been boxed up. I’ve temporarily covered the hole with some cardboard.

I’m a bit worried because I don’t think I’ve heard the parent starlings since the weekend. Normally, I hear them scuttling around on my porch roof. Should I be concerned or am I worrying too much? How long should I wait before checking on the fledgling and possibly calling a wildlife rescue?

I really dislike going up into the loft as it’s very cramped, there’s no proper flooring, and it’s full of spiders. I’m hoping I won’t have to go up there. I have my fingers crossed that I’ll hear the adult starlings soon. Any advice would be much appreciated.