Bullied wood pigeon

I have 2 or 3 wood pigeons that regularly visit my garden. A couple of weeks ago i thought one had fallen ill. It was sat in one spot for a good couple of hours. I monitored it and eventually it got up and i saw it had a limp. It remained in the garden hardly moving most of the day and then flew away in the evening. Over time its limp got better. Then a few days ago i saw two large magpies attack the same wood pigeon (i recognise it from its displaced feathers) and they knocked it out of a tree. They were brutally pecking it but i scared them off. After the attack the pigeon stayed in place for nearly 5 hours before it flew away. And then this afternoon i found the same pigeon again near the back door. It has tucked itself into some bedding plants and appears to be hiding, and has now just been sat there for around 4 hours not moving - and i’m guessing it has been attacked again. I put a small try of food nearby and am considering trying to help it if it doesn’t eventually fly away. I’m interested in why the same pigeon keeps returning, and why the magpies keep targeting it. We have other wood pigeons but they don’t get attacked (although the magpies are hyper-aggressive and regularly swoop and chase off other birds). The whole situation is bizarre and very sad - the pigeon looks depressed and bullied, but otherwise seems alert and disease-free, but seems to keep returning for more punishment. Does anyone know why it might just sit there for hours afterwards - could it be a stress reaction, or maybe it’s in pain after the attacks?

• Sorry you haven't had any replies yet Neil, maybe ring this organisation for help and advice ...

www.helpwildlife.co.uk/.../

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It is probably unwell which is why it is being targeted.  As a vulnerable prey species birds hide illness incredibly well - keeping still and quiet in a relatively shelter place means you do not draw attention to your plight .  Try the link that Wendy has posted,  - Can you approach the bird?  if so box it up and see if any rescue agency will help.  If not  offer seed and water in a quite dark place and see if it recovers 

Cin J

• Thanks both. The wood pigeon eventually left the garden yesterday evening just as i was about to try and help it. I have seen it again this afternoon in my front garden, appearing completely normal, although i can see where the magpies have plucked at its feathers. It was happily foraging. I will keep monitoring it. As you say Germain it could be poorly and just hiding it, and consequently making itself vulnerable to the magpies as it is failing to escape due to illness - that does sound like a good explanation. Thanks for the link Wendy - i will keep hold of that and good for future reference too, as i always worry if i see an injured looking bird!