How do woodpigeons learn to find food?

First time posting. I have been feeding a woodpigeon for about 9 months. I started as it came and sat on our bird table when it was very young and didn't look like it knew what to do there. It was still there hours later. I would say it was more of a juvenile than a fledling at the time. My question is, now it is an adult, will it know how to find food on its own? I am moving house. Once the food supply stops, as it has been so reliant on me? I can ask the people moving in to feed, but of course they may not want to. I'm happy to leave the bird table and supply of food. Or should I just stop now whilst there are berries etc around. I'm hoping that despite  it being left alone from a young age, perhaps its just thought it will take advantage of not having to forage. I went away for a few days and it looked a bit dishevelled and panicky until I fed it. If its better to stop now, and remove the bird table I will. I am also worried that when my cat leaves  other cats will come into the garden and he/she will be easy prey as very confident around us. He she/she has even walked in the house! Thanks.

• Hi Jackie, welcome to the forum.....I am no expert am afraid but I have a fair few woodpigeons in my garden...another 2 just popped out the nest yesterday....I also had a youngster at one point just sitting there like a sitting duck really and I was besides myself on what to do..as am sure your probably aware the youngfeed on the parents crop milk until they can feed on their own...thankfully the parents did come back and feed it eventually and I refrained from interfering. As much as we always think what we do is for the best for our garden birds and wildlife...human intervention usually just causes more problems like the one you now have lol.

I think if you have the time before you move then reduce the feeding ...if its hungry enough it will find its own food hopefully eventually.

Cats and other predators will always be around am afraid and nowt you or I can do about that.

Hopefully others may be able to add some helpful info soon.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)