Which Binoculars ?

I am not sure if this the right forum for this question but here goes.

Myself and my wife want to buy new binoculars and are rather confused about which ones. The budget is about £300 each. I have been told that 8x42 would be best. I am looking for something fairly lightweight. Not sure if we should choose roof prism or not. I had thought of Nikon Monarch but really need some other suggestions. They are for general birdwatching. Many thanks

• Try before you buy - they have to be comfortable and easy to use. The budget you have set is fine soo there shouldn't be plenty of choice. Don't know where you are based but several reserves have infects shops which have a good range and there are some independent stockists who are good such as Sherwoods www.sherwoods-photo.com
  • 8 x 42 are generally recommended as they let more light through to the eye, however the quality of lens, and lens coating, also has a big impact. I much prefer 10 x 42 for the larger magnification. As Bob says, always try before you buy - everyone's eyes are different and what may be good for one person may not be for another. Also, I think Bob meant In-Focus shops (probably autocorrected to infects in his post). In-Focus have several shops but they also do 'Field days' up and down the country at various reserves where they bring along a variety of optics you can try. You can find a list of these days on the In-Focus website.
  • Another "Try before you buy" comment - look at the bigger RSPB reserves, my local Minsmere has a good range and often has Optics Days when Viking come along with an even wider variety for example. Cley Spy on the North Norfolk coast are very good. 8x or 10x comes down to personal preference, either are common for general use

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Definitely a try before buying.

Many fully manned RSPB and Wildlife Trust reserves with shops have optics in their shops, and many also host optic trial days.

There are many good brands around the 8x42 or even 10x42 binoculars are good and don't break the bank either, though will be close to the top end of your budget, and worth the money.

Nikon Travellite also Opticron have a good range. If possible, opt for weatherproof and my Opticron's are nitrogen filled to reduce the risk of fogging inside.

regards

John

• I agree with the other about trying first.
    I've always had budget bins due to having a bad habit of dropping them lol.
    The best I've had are Opticon Oregon 10x42..
    Just going to try a link so may edit it

cleyspy.co.uk/.../