Hawk killing hawk

Hello Experts

Filmed this video on an oilrig in the North Sea in the middle of September this year. No idea what species the birds are, but suspecting they were migrating south and stopped off on the rig, which was located around 50 miles off the Lincolnshire coast. They appear to be the same species but I can't find them in my ancient Observers Book Of Birds. Sorry about the quality. The footage was filmed on a cheap digital camera. The original video is 45 secs long but the attack/kill/eat went on for around 30 minutes. If anybody can ID the birds, I'd be very grateful.

• Could the bird being attacked possibly be a kestrel?

Regards

Benji

• Hello bird experts. Thanks very much for the input. Do goshawks and kestrels migrate? We're quite a way from land and I don't think these birds had been blown out to sea, not like the wood pigeons and jackdaws that occasionally turn up on the rig. While this attack was going on, another similar looking hawk was spotted just round the corner. 3 hawks arrived on the rig at the same time. I've added the first 10 seconds of the footage I captured, as well as a still that shows the colouring of the victim (does look like a kestrel, now you mention it...)
  • Just quickly zoomed in using phone software  it may help somebody. If not I can maybe drop it into davince later.

• I've added another image that shows the plumage of the victim. The original picture was grainy and this is a snip from a zoom-in, so apologies about the poor resolution. It seems to be reddish-brown. What kind of bird would that be then?
  • Coming at it from a different angle ... the screeching.

Here is a link showing a kestrel attempting to enter a barn owl box and having a bad day. I had watched this a few days previous so remembered the noise. At 1.37 it screeches loudly as the barn owl attacks.

I ran this through birdnet. I've found it useful to identify the birds I have around me. It's actually been very accurate. It even detects if you are a human attempting to fool it. Not that I've tried Rolling eyesZipper mouth. I got it to analyse  the kestrel in distress and it assessed it as kestrel.

I then got it to listen to the rig recording several times at varying volumes. The noise of the rig is significant but it still picks out the call wavelengths. Enough for analysis. And it suggested that the call was kestrel but it does state unsure. I think iv already clarified that kestrels arent my strong suit. But maybe the alarm call will be someone's. However the water doesn't appear to be rusty because you can compare the clarity with the yellow line marking. I imagine an oily puddle would also be a fire hazard on an oil rig so perhaps not an oily puddle.

• Hi Happles

Thanks very much for your information and thanks also for sending the video.

Regarding the puddle, you're right - it's clean rainwater. We run a tight ship and don't have oil on the deck.

I never thought kestrels would get blown out to sea. I always associate them with countryside and motorway edges.

Dan.
  • You're Welcome Dan. Bare in mind the app wasn't sure. Always better to rely on visual I'd by members on here who regularly watch birds. But it may have helped out. I'm not sure how far out to sea your rig is. The owl video was amazing wasn't it. If it was a kestrel it appears you aren't the only one. This from another rig worker in the North Sea had two kestrels arrive with the supply vessel.

singletrackworld.com/.../
  • Hi-

anyone considered that
    the attacked bird could be a LEO- ? they regularly stop off on oil rigs and the colour isnt too far off

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box