Crow vocalisation

We are hoping someone can explain the meaning behind this crow's vocalisation. We have caught this crow making this noise twice and have never heard it before, we are used to the various calls, warnings and clicks they make around the garden, to each other and at passing cats but this is new.

We feed all the birds and give them each their own food and spaces, the crows are fond of tinned pet food and biscuits, the same ones we feed the fox and hedgehogs.

Both times we have caught this particular crow making this noise is after it has mooched around the garden for a good while at the end of the day after a full belly, my husband thinks it is having a moan because by that time the food is down to scraps and it has usually tired itself out moving all the various bowls and dishes around the lawn.

Any clues as to why it makes this noise and what it could mean?

• This is a totally wild guess, but it might be the crow is calling to others within its flock/family, to say there's an abundance of food.

If you look carefully at the neck, there is a part which is angular and pronounced, which indicates a full crop. Crows, as with magpies and some other birds, will gather food to take away for eating later. So there is a chance the call is hampered by a very full crop.

But it is only a wild guess.

• Maybe but we do have it making normally calling caws just before making this noise. We feed all the wildlife as best we can on a budget and we have quite a variety for an urban garden. My husband loves Corvids so they get a daily feed of meat and biscuits, there are four crows that visit us this one spends most of the day in the garden... he has found a nice easy life for himself!
  • Possibly, as I have said we are used to their various calls, caws and clicks none of the visiting crows makes this noise but this one so who knows?
  • Gelflin said:
    Maybe but we do have it making normally calling caws just before making this noise. We feed all the wildlife as best we can on a budget and we have quite a variety for an urban garden. My husband loves Corvids so they get a daily feed of meat and biscuits, there are four crows that visit us this one spends most of the day in the garden... he has found a nice easy life for himself!

Crows are fascinating to watch, and very intelligent. The one thing i love, whilst the crows were bringing up their young, how assertive they were without being aggressive. it was just like the parent giving a child that look to say "I'm in charge here", particularly with the cheeky magpies and grey squirrels.