What is this.

This appeared in my garden this morning and I was wondering what is it?

• That's a young gannet. Don't let it get close to you - that beak could put one of your eyes out. Do you have a local wildlife rescue to contact?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Are you close to the coast ? Looks like a juvenile Gannet but wait for other more expert opinions on this one.

x-post with Clare

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Yes i'm on the coast of North east of England.
  • Try contacting a wildlife rescue centre via this form;     The menu for species will have Seabirds so highlight that and add your location;   as Clare says do not approach the bird but monitor it from a distance until you can get advice from the professionals.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I've got to say that's one hell of a garden sighting! I hope it's OK - gannets are such magnificently beautiful birds.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Shame its not RSPB garden birdwatch weekend, that would have raised a few eyebrows.
    A Gannet in the garden

Richard B

• After a while trying to find someone , the RSPCA did not seem much help but thanks Hazy for the link as I found someone on that who said they will send someone. Thanks everyone for helping.
  • As the ladies said one heck of a garden tick, hope you get it sorted, the RSPB tend not to get involved in rescues' We live in the middle of North Yorkshire miles from the sea so when one landed in a members garden that caused a stir locally but a lady running a rescue centre not too distant sorted it out.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can