Urgent help with pigeons please

Hi everyone,

I don’t know a lot about birds but I’m a big fan of them. I recently found a pigeon nest in a tree in my garden which was a nice surprise. 

The pigeon has been sat in the nest for a while - I spotted her in 24th July. I couldn’t see her partner anywhere but I’m not sure where the males go during nesting. 

This week has been stormy and there’s been heavy rain in Cheshire. Of course I’m worried this could have affected the mother.

My mum thought she saw rustling in the tree today and I checked in the afternoon. The pigeon wasn’t there!! 

Its 6pm now and I checked again, pigeon still not there, but at least two babies!!! One lifted its head and looked frail, as babies do. But they’re a decent size. 

Should I be worried?? Do I need to call for help? Or is the mother looking for food? Any time I’ve googled it it’s come up with pest removal which is extremely unhelpful as I don’t consider pigeons as pests. 

• Try this site for help & advice in your area ... helpwildlife.co.uk/.../

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• From what you have written, there doesn't appear to be a problem. Adults don't spend all the time at the nest. Obviously, if the adult is away for hours, there could be a problem.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Hopefully the parent returned between the times that I checked (2pm and 6pm, about 4 hours). But is it possible they can return late evening?

What if they don’t return?
  • There is a pigeon on a nearby lamp post above the tree. It’s really not too far away but the pigeon won’t be able to see inside the tree.

If it’s a parent I will feel so relieved, and I assume it’s keeping watch. I’m waiting to see what happens.

——

EDIT: it flew away. It’s 7pm so maybe they’re just late returning to the nest 

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Hi Wendy,
    I see some wildlife services that are sort of nearby. If I don’t see parents tomorrow morning then I will call.

Just feel very worried and upset, it was horrible to see helpless little babies (even if I’m not 100% sure they’re abandoned). hesitant to intervene when I’m unsure if it’s too soon... technically I’ve only checked at 2pm today (I forgot to check the day before). But I would blame myself if the little ones died.
  • All you can do is keep a keen eye on the nest for your peace of mind, at least you have a number to call if you feel the need for more expert advice! Hope all goes well for them!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Hi Wendy,
    Thank goodness there is an adult bird in the nest now! I wonder when he/she returned...

Thanks so much for reassuring me. Such a huge relief
  • Thanks for the good news update Milliec!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr