Magpies killing blue tit fledglings

Any way we can stop magpies coming into our garden, we had 5 bluetit fledglings but we are down to two because a Magpie is taking them away? Any tips to save these last two? It's our first family in our bird box.

• Sorry to read that. Unfortunately, as you probably know, magpies are very intelligent and will keep coming back to where they know is food.
    I don't know the circumstances, but bird feeding attracts congregations of birds, incl magpies, regardless of what food is being put out or who it is meant for. This means it is more likely they'll stumble across easy prey. However, magpies are known to go actively looking for nests, and youngsters, so there is always the chance they'll find young anyway.
    Hopefully, the remaining two will find somewhere safer. Good luck.
  • Thank you for your reply. These magpies are definitely coming in specifically for the young, I do hope the last two make it out alive. Our little boys have loved watching them since the parents arrived but are very sad they are not surviving!
  • Yes, definitely would be coming back for the young. Once one is found, they know to keep looking. My point earlier is bird feeding, IMO, increases the risk of magpies being in the garden anyway. Obviously, if you don't feed birds, that won't be the case.