Bats in the middle of the day????

Hi,

Yesterday  I noticed a bat flying high in my garden all around some mature Corsican pines (I think they probably live there). What made this rather unusual is that it was 1pm in the afternoon, and very sunny! It was flying around for about 10 minutes without stopping, very irratically so I wondered if it was catching insects.

Is this unusual? No idea what sort it was, but it had a big body, probably the size of a dunnock/robin-ish (difficuly to get a feel for perspective) but most definitely a bat (it's wings look like they are on backwards!)

Any views out there guys...?

Dough mummy

Always happy to stop and stare...

• WWT Welney tweeted that there were bats hunting during the daytime there yesterday too. I wondered the same thing myself?

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• Maybe if they are just coming out of hibernation they are hunting during daylight to help build up on the reserves they would have lost over the winter. I would imagine they are quite peckish after a 4 month sleep ;-)

Andrew

• Some bats will fly during the day, they are more likely to be out during the day at this time of the year as having just emerged from hibernation it is vital for them to build up their reserves.  Sometimes they will go back into hibernation afterwards.  A long spell of bad weather can also force them out hunting during the day.  There is at least one UK species that is commonly seen during the day throughout though, but I can't remember which species! 

•  

Hi-

I see bats in the daytime fairly regularly in early spring and even on warm winter days. Normally Pipistrelles :)

I have seen Noctule in broad daylight on warm November days too.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• KatTai said:

Some bats will fly during the day, they are more likely to be out during the day at this time of the year as having just emerged from hibernation it is vital for them to build up their reserves.  Sometimes they will go back into hibernation afterwards.  A long spell of bad weather can also force them out hunting during the day.  There is at least one UK species that is commonly seen during the day throughout though, but I can't remember which species! 

That might be the Dawft 

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• I was out in the garden at approx 5 pm and it was light the sun still out and there was a solitary bat busy collecting insects, I watched him for a good 5 minutes before my neck had had enough following him darting about !!