Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 3 Gwithian Green NR

Following on from   Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 2 Battery Rocks, Mounts Bay, Penzance  

First, many thanks to  and a couple of others for there help in the juvenile ID from Pt 2 on Battery Rocks.

As always, ID corrections  and confirmations always welcome.

The day started with a pleasant sun rise

and the local wildlife  getting breakie

and dropping breakie!

Gwithian Green Nature Reserve, managed by Gwithian Parish Council along with the Gwithian Green Advisory Group, is a fabulous open space, and not too far from Godrevy, owned and managed by the National Trust, also close to Godrevy Lighthouse, managed by Trinity House. When I say close, Godrevy isn't too far a walk from Gwithian.

Gwithian Green was Mrs PR's choice, and one of her many good choices, so noting there was no immediately nearby café's, though Godrevy, not that far away, does have a very pleasant cafe, we ensured the car had suitable refreshments for both of us.

We did a short walk along the Butterfly Trail, which was a very pleasant and short route, and to be fair and honest, a very good overview of the nature reserve.

I did say Godrevy was close, Godrevy lighthouse towers over only a short distance away...

and  what would you expect on the butterfly trail?

Of course, butterflies....

Green Veined Butterflies

along with a Wandering Glider (Pantala flavescens)

Looks like it's devouring an insect/spider within the plant flower head

a dronefly

St Gothian's Church Tower, Gwithian, with crows atop...

More green veined butterflies

and cropped in

As you'd expect, there were plenty of birds,

particularly barn swallows, housemartins and very likely sandmartins, bust feeding  up their young  ready for that long journey south.

The young barn swallows waiting for their food....

On the chase.....

still patiently waiting....

At last....

one happy juvenile barn swallow, for the time being...

Now for one of those mripits...

Most likely meadow pipit, so any id corrections, confirmations gratefully received

That was quite a morning, and a very pleasant one, definitely worth a visit next time. Though the same day, well, afternoon, I'll share Godrevy in Pt 4, there are some heart melters there, and I'm not talking ices or chilled drinks.

• Lovely sunny set to see on a dismal day Mike. I think your Wandering Glider is a Common Darter, and I'm not sure on the Pipits either, but I don't remember seeing so much yellow, and no streaks.... but then, you know me and my ID skills Smiley Thanks for sharing part 3 Thumbsup