Charlecote Park 30 Aug 2024

30th August, well, as I type,  it's  now the 2nd September, and the year is flying by, it'll soon be Christmas.....

Just like the housemartins were on my visit.

First, the Tudor style gatehouse. I like Charlecote for the fallow deer, housemartins and part time barn swallows, among many other species.

The sun was out, so were the housemartins, and I don't think I've ever seen so many.

Virtually ALL nests were active, and I don't think it'll be long before this one fledges

These aren't quite ready to fledge

The fallow deer was taking in the sun, and grass...

There were some  fawns among  them, but they were just out of view...

More housemartin activity....

yes, there are two chicks  to be fed.

These could be very young, the parents are going into the nest to feed them

just before the tail disappears

As I was chatting to someone, a large white butterfly landed closeby, giving a perfect opportunity to get some closeups, with the RF 24-240 lens.

Last but by no means least, often when I park up, there is a lime tree, and during  July and August, the leaves release the sap, onto cars parked below it. These German wasps were making the best of the sap

• Lovely set of photos Mike and so nice to see the House Martins close to fledging;    will miss seeing them when they return to Africa soon and hope there are better numbers arriving on our shores next year.   Always good to see the deer at Charlecote along with the flutterbys;  again, hope we have a better year in 2025 with less rainfall !    

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely set of photos Mike and so nice to see the House Martins close to fledging;    will miss seeing them when they return to Africa soon and hope there are better numbers arriving on our shores next year.   Always good to see the deer at Charlecote along with the flutterbys;  again, hope we have a better year in 2025 with less rainfall !

I know what you mean, I'm already missing the barn swallows, which this year seem to have been very prominently absent, and not just here.

Fingers crossed Fingers crossed for next year, and also fewer hospital and nurse visits for me.

All being well I'll get to see a rut again at Charlecote this year. That isn't far away.

I don't think I posted anything around that time, so here are a couple of photos taken at the time

When you look at that bucks eye, the determination is second only to his victor....

• Nice to see the House Martins poking their heads out of the nest. Nice set of photo's Mike, also nice one of the deer rut.

• Great captures Mike 

Regards, Hazel