Alner's Gorse 19th July

So upon returning from Welney on the Thursday, I made Mrs PB do chores for the day, before sending her back out to work for the weekend, whilst I completed the far more important task of going out photographing stuff! (please don't tell her I used words like "made do chores" and "sending her out" Grinning) The forecast was continuing dry and still, so it was butterfly time again, I hoped.

When I arrived I was greeted by a Gatekeeper, and he said "Hi PB, come on in, I'll close the entryway behind you." Imagine my surprise when I then saw a Gatekeeper butterfly too... coincidental or what!?

And just to rub in my previous error... next up a Meadow Brown

Next up, a little further down the track, Large Skipper I think. Skipper's markings this year seem to be a bit interchangable... it's so not fair!!

Meadow Brown (see, only one white spot still Stuck out tongue winking eye)

A curiosity... plant? parasite? Google Lens says Juncus summatorother ... compact rush?

A Ringlet, the only one I saw

Direct Meadow Brown/Gatekeeper comparison.... near identical, see NerdRolling eyesLaughing

In the same tree as the White Letter Hairstreaks the other week, Purple Hairstreaks being equally obstinate about popping down for a feed and a photo! And equally over exposed and unflattering angles!

After about 15/20 minutes my neck started aching from looking up so I wandered on to the tree where I'd seen the Hairstreaks last year, and on the way, Small Skipper

Then Google Lens suggests Essex, but I'm not convinced

Beautiful Demoiselle

Surprise of the day.... Male Bully

Red Soldier Beetle?

Google Lens again comes up with Essex Skipper

Don't know... juvenile something? Light was quite harsh so I have darkened it down slightly... Looks too grey for Chiffchaff to me?

One of the ichneumenoniumenoneniunmonmin (or something like that) wasps?

There's been a couple of Hornets buzzing about, one landed briefly

Small Copper (think my first of the year)

Chiffchaff?

Marbled White, there were several, but none were keen on landing Rolling eyes

And a really hot Wren!

And the wren had the right idea, so I tootled off home, before I melted. And I was glad to find, when I arrived, Mrs PB had finished ironing, and was in the kitchen preparing a cake Joy

Hope you enjoyed (I certainly enjoyed the cake!!)

Any ID corrections welcome

Stay Safe All