WWT Welney July '24 (pt6)

So there we were, cooling off in the hide...

Far side of the lagoon again, comparing bills!

Then some more troublesome attempts at catching the Swallows in flight (these have made me have a serious think, and I've come to a conclusion, which hopefully will germinate into a constructive thread... once I've finished this one!)

Again some more Marsh Harrier action

A couple of mid moult/ mid aged Black Headed Gulls, showing variations

I was so desperate for Dragons, I even tried ovipositing emperors from the hide!

Ongoing yoga classes for the Greylag

My aim for the Swallows in flight, was to see if I could capture them flying towards us, before actually coming into the hide

A sequence now, taken over 4 seconds, showcasing one of the most graceful pieces of aviatory excellence I think I've seen. Introducing Dame Darcey Pavlova-Bussel, in Welneys answer to Swan Lake, White Egret Lagoon (no post processing, except making the files sub 5mb)

I think I may have picked the wrong sequence there, because three times in about 10 minutes the great Dame Darcey skipped around in a big circle, for no apparent reason, but I appear to have missed the end of the loop Rolling eyes

The Swallow was so impressed he landed on the hide roof!

A couple of new arrivals

The Whooper family made an appearance

Waggie having a little fly hunting hop

And another little Moorhen in the pool by the visitor centre

Finally an Emperor sat still for a moment... obviously as far away as it could be whilst still in sight!

And a juvenile Moorhen, that appeared to be on babysitting duties

We then retired to the cottage for a few hours, napping and book reading etc whilst the sun scorched its burning path through the sky. we headed out for an evening stroll around Lady Fen, first overhead...

Followed by distantly

At first I thought this was some type of berry or fruit... it turns out not! White Lipped Snail possibly

An exodus of Lapwings

And a solo Rock Dove

Peering in to the fenced off areas, there was little to see, just occasional birds, Oystercatcher

Not sure who this grows up to be, but it was no slouch across the ground

There were a number of Small Tortoiseshell flitting about

Likewise a few bees

Close to hand were the reeds, and a number of warblers were flitting about, and occasionally waiting to be photographed

A wokka wokka clumsily chugged overhead

And another plane cruised by (or possibly the same one!)

Back in the fenced off area, Avocets

Who then decided possibly we were too close at 200 yards!

Green Veined White

And a Common Blue Damsel

Mr Reed Bunting deigned to sit still for 10 seconds, but not without a caveat... he didn't realise I had eye tracking hahahahaaaaaaaa!!

Distant again... but some sort of Sandpiper maybe?

Another distant Marshie

Another Reed (I think... but the beaks a bit long, or is it just the angle?) Warbler popped up

Practically Pristine!

A little flurry of Oystercarchers flew over

And I think a Brown Hawker settled

And as we headed home, a final flurry of Marsh Harrier activity

And thus concluded a fabulous few days, a 2nd wonderful visit and highly recommended if you're on the look out for somewhere to go. Thanks for sticking with it, and any confirmation or otherwise of ID's gratefully accepted as always.

Stay Safe All