Norfolk Holiday Report Pt#5; Wednesday

Norfolk Holiday Report Day #6 Wednesday: Norfolk Broads Museum, Stalham Staithe

For those who missed Pt #4 click the link Point right   Norfolk Holiday Report Day #4; Monday & Tuesday 

Not too many piccies in this part, no sunrise, it was a cloudy day with the threat of light showers at times. The day was more about the history of the Norfolk Broads, and a very interesting history it is too.

Now here’s an interesting one, a four legged spider!

One of the key things I remember from my 1966/7 holidays, was the excitement at the time of North Sea Gas, which was to replace the existing Town Gas, produced from coal. I appreciate things have moved on a lot since those days, but I still recalll the excitement of seeing North Sea Drilling  Platforms from the Norfolk Coast. Many are still visible today,  this one, Sea Fox 2 was clearly visible from our holiday let.

Zoomed in an cropped

There are quite a few boat yards and museums on the Norfolk Broads, this one was picked at random being the easiest to access by road.

The Boat Yard and Museum, Stalham Staithe

The boxes on this boat may look like junk just dumped there.... 

but read the accompanying information with the boat,

Point down

And so you thought Nutty Slack was a toffee or waste coal...... Thinking

Mrs PR wanted a little extra retail therapy time, but no extra expense...

Fine by me, that enabled me to take a very interesting 50 minute guided boat trip along the Norfolk Broads.

The boat, an Edwardian style vessel aptly named "Marsh Harrier", is all electric powered and charged using solar panels on the museum buildings roof.

A lucky shot, as the kingie darted across the river to its nest….

and heavily cropped

Hunsett Drainage Pump

Our guide back to the boatyard, the Greylag family

Once berthed and disembarked, the Swan family

A very interesting and informative visit to the museum, and guided boat trip, encompassing not just the tourist aspect, or the reed harvesting, but also the dark days of heavy pollution, and the huge efforts to turn the dark days to more environmentally friendly days. For those interested, there are more photos on the history of the Norfolk Broads, which can be seen in my June 2024 Album,

The Cromer Peregrines are to follow, very soon.