RSPB Conwy 01 June 2024 and a Great Crested Grebe Special

OK, I got a little carried away, well, a lot, but who wouldn’t when you have a family of great crested grebes swimming around with the toddlers hitching a ride….

I did try some of the settings mentioned in the YouTube R5 video mentioned in the Mirrorless thread, and taking into consideration the poster was US based and we’re in Britain, didn’t bode too favourably. 

After sorting through 600+ photos, among which many of housemartins and swallows of the GCG and young, trying various camera settings to try out different AF settings nad speeds, were very quickly whittled down to 70+, with many being out-of-focus, fuzzy or any other focal/exposure mishaps.

But worth a try and definitely not in vain, and I would consider trying some of those settings again.

The sun was shining, though there was some haze (no pun intended Hazy) on the nearby hills down the valley to the Carneddau range, it was hot and the wind was just right to keep the worst of the heat at bay.

This was a long overdue visit, and I managed to persuade the practice nurse I was deserving of a day pass, no medical intervention, apart from caffeine complemented by a bacon and egg mayo sarnie. Well, alright, a piece of coffee and walnut cake to top the lunch off nicely.

Plus, I needed to make a delivery to some family I have not far from there.

My last visit was 11 December 2022, which was shared here in; “RSPB Conwy Saturday 11th December”.

I knew there were some changes around the corner from my last and previous visits during 2022, but never dreamed the changes would be that extensive. On my last visit, the footings for the cafe extension and new toilet block had not long started.  Now complete, and  wow, and a fantastic transformation that has been.

The Carneddau ponies (which I have a soft spot for) have been moved on, due to the fact they were over grazing the grass there.

I aim to be open minded when changes are made, and accept things will be different. As we all know, reserves are managed to get the best for wildlife, and I could see the changes, not just on the shrubland, but also on the pools. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered so many nests on the pools, plus so much activity, even curlews on some of the islands in the pool, and considering it was low tide!

However, many said the reserve was quiet, not something I found. There were a lot of nesting birds, there were also a lot of busy birds parenting, gathering food for their broods….

The dragons and damsels were waking up from their winter slumber, likewise butterflies and moths just to list a very great few, but no photos sadly.

As always, all corrections, suggestions are welcome.

The view from Tal-y-fan hide over  the shallow lagoon to Conwy Mountain and Castle....

White tailed bumblebee

Mr & Mrs Tuftie

Mr & Mrs GCG, nest building....

Another delivery coming in!

The young of 2024, mallard duckling

Probably the only curlew on the pools during low tide and not obscured by shrubs

Mrs M and her brood....

The gosling bunch....

Cuckoo Spit, otherwise the egg sack of the froghopper nymph...

The swallows and housemartins were active over the shallow lagoon. By the time I'd reset the camera back to my original AF setting of eye detection and not zone, the swallows had moved on, but I did manage to catch these housemartins...

Well, almost, was a bit slow, the housemartin had long had its snack off the water surface..... 

A pied wagtail preening and bathing.....

Where did it go?  Open mouth  

There it is...

I did say bathing.....

The orchids were out in full flower, though sadly I didn't get to see them all. But I did get this Common Spotted Orchid

Mr & Mrs GCG  from earlier, but from the otherside of the Deep Lagoon

only to be photobombed by a jackdaw!

More Great Crested Grebe poses....

well, until it saw a tasty fish meal....

Blackberry/Bramble flower....

A thick legged flower beetle, on a wild geranium..

A mute swan, looks like nest sitting

OK, these next series of photos aren't great, but they're the best considering the sun, water and glare, plus ALL heavily cropped due to being on the limits of the lens.

Two GCG families, another one from the far side  of the Deep Lagoon, almost alongside the estuary.

Home Sweet Home...

Feeding time for the youngsters

Now I don't know why, but I'm thinking  of the 1969 hit "Hitchin' A Ride"  by Vanity Fare......

finally, some more bumblebee activity before going home.

Oh go on then, one last GCG piccie.....

Species observed alphabetically, but not necessarily photographed

• Blackbird
  • Blue Tit
  • Canada Goose
  • Carrion Crow
  • Chiffchaff
  • Coot
  • Cormorant
  • Curlew
  • Gadwall
  • Goldfinch