A few bugs and bees.

Tried a bit of macro in the sunshine the other day - a few Bees and flies oaf various sorts as I have no real clue with insects. Some taken at full zoom with a 70-200mm lens and some with a 105mm macro lens. I think iy will be obvious which lens was used for the various pictures.

Hopefully there are no duplicates but drag and drop was playing up (again), 

• photo 2, 3,4,5 is a root maggot fly. photo 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 is the Common carder Bumblebee. photo 15 is in the genus empis and is a species of dancing fly. photo 22 is a worn Bumblebee. as they reach old age there colours start to fade but it looks like a species of white tailed Bumblebee of which there is a couple White tailed Bumblebee, Buff tailed Bumblebee and Garden Bumblebee and tree Bumblebee. white and buff dont have 3 stripes the 3rd being the extra in the middle unlike the garden Bumblee and yours is either white or Buff tailed.   both buff and white have white tails but the buff usually has a yellow tinge. however they can also have a white tail too due to certain factors like there role worker, caste etc  and when Bumblebees get old it can make identification more difficult but the tail does have a yellowish tinge so is likely to be a buff tailed . 

photo 23 is again common carder. common carders have a black band and fluffy gingery tufts. whereas with tree Bumblebees though they also have gingery tufts   the tree Bumblebees tail section - the abdomen is black and the tail is white unlike common carder Bumblebees this is some of the ways that help you tell the difference between the 2 species. photo 24 if the same individual as 25 and 26 then it is the Garden Bumblebee the largest Bumblebee and very common in gardens hence the name. 

photo 27 is most likely a Braconid a family of the parisatoid wasps  species wise it resembles  the cabbage white parasitoid wasp but it is a very diverse family. 

I hope this helps. 

those are very good photos 

• very nice detail on the macro images Bob,   with all this constant damp rainy weather feel sorry for the butterflies, bees and other insects,    

Regards, Hazel 

• Bobs_Retired said:

Thank you very much.

thats ok.

• very nice detail on the macro images Bob,   with all this constant damp rainy weather feel sorry for the butterflies, bees and other insects,    

Must admit I've not seen many butterflies this year. Its along time since my Grape Hyacinth all died off and the Orange Tips used to love those last year but none this year sadly.