The rest from the Farne Islands 25 May 2024.

Here are the rest of the pictures from yesterday's visit to the Farne Islands - still only landings available on Inner Farne for 1 hour.. Bird numbers do seem down on previous years but I suppose that is to be expected after the last Avian flu outbreak. Its a little easier than I would normally visit but it was a birthday related trip with family. As it was I left my hat in the car but didn't need it in the end - many of the Arctic Terns were still fetching fish and mating rather than actively sitting on eggs so they were nowhere near as aggressive as they are later in the season. There were lots of Puffins bringing in sandals but it looks like most of those mat=y have been young birds trying to impress young ladies. Certainly they weren't being mugged by the usual Gulls, though Black headed Gull numbers seemed very low - I don't know whether that is due to avail flu last year or whether its still early for them. Again I noticed only a couple of Shag nests where `I would have expected to see more but again its early doors - in fact the first Shag chick had just hatched the day before. 

What I did miss was the Sandwich Tern colony - it wasn't in its usual place and I didn't see a single Sandwich Tern all day - but remember I'm mainly a photographer and I did concentrate more on the Gannet, Puffins and Arctics.

What did impress me was the change for the Arctic Terns - the year the management have created beds of sand for theTerns to nest in and they seem to have adapted well to them. Hopefully that means an end to the occasional laying of an egg on the walkway and a subsequent detour being organised. A really good day out and I may well have another visit later this summer. 

Arctic Terns, drake Eider

Puffin

Razorbill

Shag

Kittiwake

Shag and Guillemots

Anyone seen any Puffins?

I'm sure I cleaned it out before I left last year!

There's always a Mallard

The Surfing Guillemot

One last glimpse

• Spectacular photos. Looks like a great place. Never been. Does look good though. 

• Spectacular photos. Looks like a great place. Never been. Does look good though. 

Well worth the trip for sure.

• Certainly a fabulous set Bob. Was it multiple puffins with beakfuls of sandeels, coz last years photos, if I remember rightly, the beaks were only half full... if that makes sense!

Always a pleasure to see, so thanks for sharing :o)

• Anyone seen a puffin.....

That was superb photography Bob, was that using eye tracking?

It looks like the terns were feeding on sand eels as were the puffins.

• Great photo's Bob, I have not been to the Farne Islands. I do like those with the Puffin holding Sand eels, I have not yet seen them doing this. I have seen puffins in a few places, mostly at Bempton Cliffs.

• Always love to see the Farne Islands. One of my favourite places. I have stayed quite a few times at The Bamburgh Castle Inn, just on the harbour, so I could pick a nice sunny day, a quiet (ish) boat and wander down and get a ticket. One year I went on the trip 3 times in a week - I enjoyed it so much. I have been once when the sea was very choppy and it came on heavy rain - there were people hanging over the side! I like your photo of the two Puffins standing together, one with a mouthful of sandeels and the other with none. I can imagine the conversation. 'Go on, give us a sandeel' .... 'Er no! get yer own'

• Certainly a fabulous set Bob. Was it multiple puffins with beakfuls of sandeels, coz last years photos, if I remember rightly, the beaks were only half full... if that makes sense!

Always a pleasure to see, so thanks for sharing :o)

Multiple Puffins but still early in the season - so more for wooing the ladies rather than rushing down the burrows to feed the kids. 

• Anyone seen a puffin.....

That was superb photography Bob, was that using eye tracking?

It looks like the terns were feeding on sand eels as were the puffins.

Thank you - no I generally turn the eye tracking off for distant stuff as sometimes the eyes are just too small. I'm not sure what the Terns were fishing for but only one at a time for them Slight smile

• Great photo's Bob, I have not been to the Farne Islands. I do like those with the Puffin holding Sand eels, I have not yet seen them doing this. I have seen puffins in a few places, mostly at Bempton Cliffs.

Bempton's OK but often most Puffins are well hidden when it come to breeding season or they are flying very low. Flamborough head is definitely better than Bempton for Puffins but Bempton is for Gannets :). Its the first time I have really seen so many Puffins standing with mouth full of eels. Later on in the season they don't have time to stand as the gulls try to mug them all for the food so its land and dash for the burrow. That said I didn't see as many Black Headed Gulls as usual - whether that's because I was early or whether that's because of last years bird flu I don't really know. I do hope to get back later in the season so will have a better idea.

• Great photos Bob. I've never seen a puffin, be great to get a chance to photograph them.