Brandon Marsh 30 April 2024

After a short stint of not being able to get out and about,  especially after the magnificent red kite on a previous visit, I managed to get out at the end of April

and with a Star6 filter for effect...

Before I'd taken the above sunrise photos, the cuckoo had been quite vocal, but still no sighting!

Moving on, as muntjac feeding on the bank

This particular oystercatcher is one of a breeding pair, confirmed by the obs watching it fly to and from the nest, feeding/sharing something, with the OYC nest sitting. The island where they've set up nest is in danger of becoming swapped with flood water.

Oi?

You, whatcha  gawping  at?

A cormorant coming in....

followed by a sail past....

A common buzzard flies over one of the pools

only to be mobbed  by resident crows....

Synchronous flight, two greylag geese....

Finally, the one that got away, a swallow...

Species list, heard and seen in alphabetical order....

• Barn Swallow
  • Blue Tit
  • Canada Goose
  • Carrion Crow
  • Cetti's Warbler
  • Chiffchaff
  • Common Buzzard
  • Coot
  • Cormorant
  • Cuckoo
  • Gadwall
  • Goldfinch
  • Greylag Goose
  • Housemartin
  • Jay
  • Lapwing
  • Little Ringed Plover
  • Magpie
  • Mallard Duck
  • Oystercatcher
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Sedge Warbler
  • Tufted Duck
  • A great start to the day Mike and it only got better Slight smile Nice Buzzard photo's.

• That's a good number of sightings Mike and a cuckoo too :)    Great photos, thanks for posting.

Regards, Hazel 

• Love the portrait of my green eyed mate! The star6 filter... is it screw on designed for Canon? Just wondering if it was, and you didn't screw it on fully, could you dictate where the star burst effect would be in the image, for compositional effect? ie a vertical line, or a horizontal if it was turned 30 degrees less? (if my maths is right, and that's how it works lol)

• SnappyMac said:

A great start to the day Mike and it only got better Slight smile Nice Buzzard photo's.

Thank you SM.

• HAZY said:

That's a good number of sightings Mike and a cuckoo too :)    Great photos, thanks for posting.

It was a good day, well, morning.

The cuckoo for me has only been heard. We suspect more than one, and all quite vocal, though I understand someone has seen a cuckoo.

• PimperneBloke said:

Love the portrait of my green eyed mate! The star6 filter... is it screw on designed for Canon? Just wondering if it was, and you didn't screw it on fully, could you dictate where the star burst effect would be in the image, for compositional effect? ie a vertical line, or a horizontal if it was turned 30 degrees less? (if my maths is right, and that's how it works lol)

EDITED

Thank you PB, I'm pleased you liked the green eyed dinosauaromont.

The filter is a universal screw in filter which will screw on to any lens for any SLR/DSLR/mirrorless camera with a 77mm dia thread. You can get them in various thread dia as small as 43mm-95mm. Check your stockist in lens accessories/filters or search using wording like "Circular or Threaded Filters", the range and availability of filters is vast.

Look for Φ77mm at the front of the lens or towards the front, should tell you what size the thread is. The numbers will denote the thread size, in the case of my Canon lenses, 77mm

Or on the rim around the lens glass.

I have noticed recently, some big name filter manufacturers have stopped supplying star filters, probably because the effect can be added using many photo editing suites, plus, many smartphones are now able to use AI to recreate the effect.