Back to Burton Mere Wetlands

Sunny, dry day on the forecast so headed off to Burton Mere Wetlands on the Wirral, about one hour drive from home arriving at 9am.    The reserve has had some improvements over the last few months and for the first time we saw the new viewing platform to the left of the visitor centre affording wonderful views of the pools and scrapes in front of the VC.    The first birds we saw were 5 Mediterranean Gulls which I heard first with their distinctive call before a kind gentleman with a scope allowed us to look more closely at them.    Dozens of avocets, black tailed Godwits, Ruff and reports of several Wimbrel the day before and one see the day we were there.    For the most part I used binoculars as there was so much around,  leaving the camera at my side for much of the time as I'd rather see a bird clearly in binoculars before I reach for the camera as so often you can miss them.    As I walked towards the far Border hide I heard a "reeling" sound so put the merlin applet on and it picked up a Grasshopper Warbler !   Was this a genuine ID I thought so with a chat with several very experienced birders later the recording was confirmed and later seen by someone in the area where I reported it.    8 Spotted Redshank were seen from Border Hide.   Cetti's warblers were singing everywhere and at this time of year there is a greater chance of seeing these very shy. elusive birds,  Took a while before I finally captured one in frame !    Anyway,  enough twittering from me .......here's a few pics.

This is the viewing platform that was added end of breeding season last year ....

A Belgua aircraft carrying the wings for the A380 passed overhead

Not long before a Cetti's warbler appeared 

Lots of Wrens belting out their loud songs

Little Egret flew across the boardwalk 

An obliging Chiffchaff perched in a tree close to the boardwalk 

Looking slightly out of place, an Egyptian Goose 

8 Spotted Redshanks seen from Border Hide......

and the many waders,  mainly Black-tailed Godwits 

That's about it for now, thanks for viewing !   

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely photo's Hazy. I have never seen a Cetti's Warbler, Spotted Redshank or Beluga!

• Great selection - I wish Cettis were more obliging for me Disappointed

• Cettis and wrens at full blast? I'm surprised your eardrums survived!! Lovely stuff, thanks for sharing Hazel Relaxed️ 

• Many thanks for sharing your wonderful pics aitch ... just like the good old days!Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Fabulous and lovely to see.

Oh how I'm missing the coastal wetlands, the waders (esp on Centenary Pool from Border Hide), and more.

I'm trying to place where the new viewing area is. It looks to me to be the other side of the Bunker Hide from the visitor centre.

• Mike B said:
    I'm trying to place where the new viewing area is. It looks to me to be the other side of the Bunker Hide from the visitor centre.

Hi Mike,   the viewing areas is as you thought, the other side of bunker hide where there used to be a cut in area with a bench.     I see most visitors with scopes heading straight for the viewing platform which gives very wide views of the various pools out in front of the VC.     We'd visited before but nobody mentioned the new viewing platform so we tended to concentrate on the other side of VC before heading off to Parkgate .....  or Costco Warehouse  !!   Hope you manage to get over there yourself, let us know if you plan a visit as we'll do our best to meet you there.   

Regards, Hazel 

• HAZY said:
    Mike B said:

Hi Mike,   the viewing areas is as you thought, the other side of bunker hide where there used to be a cut in area with a bench.     I see most visitors with scopes heading straight for the viewing platform which gives very wide views of the various pools out in front of the VC.     We'd visited before but nobody mentioned the new viewing platform so we tended to concentrate on the other side of VC before heading off to Parkgate .....  or Costco Warehouse  !!   Hope you manage to get over there yourself, let us know if you plan a visit as we'll do our best to meet you there.   

Many thanks for confirming the location. I did have a look on the webpage, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned there. There are very good views across the wetlands from there, and also the Bunker Hide, which can get a bit nippy.

You may recall when we were there (checking Flickr, July 2021), the nearby cables were full of swallows, linnets, martins and many others.

I'm still having big issues with the leg, working out a plan with the nurse, hopefully sometime soon, and I will certainly let you know when I'm next planning a trip there.