Charlecote Park 14 Apr 2024

The morning was showing promise of sun, though a bit blowy and fresh, but a good excuse to get out, have a woodland wander, rounded off with a cuppa and sausage butty with Mrs PR.

This time of year, male and female deer often part their ways and reside in separate areas. The fallow buck's are resting up, many starting to lose their antlers.

The main drive to the gatehouse, house and extensive grounds

The water levels are still quite high, the weir where the R Dene feeds into the R Avon at this time of year often reveals around six steps. Not this time.....

The fallow doe's enjoying their break from the lads...

Mrs PR spotted her first tree creeper. Not the easiest of birds to capture on camera, just like those goldcrests.....

There were plenty of blackbirds, robin's dunnocks, crows, magpies and many more, including little egrets, grey herons, but all evading the camera... But not the jackdaws, and this one in particular seemed to be quite happy following humans as they disturb the ground.

The walk back for a bit of refreshment, and we were serenaded by this goldfinch

Time for a cuppa sausage butty, but not before I spot my first housemartin of the year

After the refreshments, Mrs PR needed a little retail therapy, while I had to check out the housemartin and swallow locations.

Ooops, this one made a mad dash out, for food, DiY wattle and daub, who knows, but I almost missed the photo opportunity...

A blue tit on the brickwork....

Some yellow dung flies on fallow deer poo (you really want to see that don't you)

A pied wagtail

What better to end the morning with, fallow bucks, finally  up and feeding, plus, some trying to scratch that itch

and here's one already prepared

and one yet to start.....

The sightings for this morning:

• Blackbird
  • Blue Tit
  • Carrion Crow
  • Dunnock
  • Fallow deer
  • Great Tit
  • Grey Heron
  • Housemartin
  • Jackdaw