Brandon Marsh 12 April 2024

Grabbing yet more of the warmer drier weather, but no sunrise this time, nor fishy tales, or should that be fishy tails...

But I did witness herring gull antics, where a herring gull picked up a stone from the pool and took flight with it, followed by another herring gull, and at one time, two other herring gulls, all juveniles. The last time I saw this type of behaviour as at RSPB Conwy back in August 2018. Unfortunately I can't find a posting for that visit, though I'm sure I will have said something. However, the photos are still viewable on my Flickr pages. Click HERE to view those photos.

A second  herring gull joins the flight

Time to settle down....

Note: stone is still firmly in the beak...

But not for long....

Another short flight then RTB....

My first swallow obs for 2024. looking at the tail, with one tail feather shorter than the other, this one has definitely returned.

To round off the morning, Mr GSW made a quick visit to the car park just before I left for home.

Species observed

• Barn Swallow
  • Blackbird
  • Blue Tit
  • Canada Goose
  • Cetti's Warbler
  • Cormorant
  • Dunnock
  • Gadwall
  • Greater Spotted Woodpecker
  • Herring Gull
  • Lapwing
  • Little Ringed Plover
  • Mallard
  • Moorhen
  • Mute Swan
  • Oystercatcher
  • Robin
  • Tufted Duck
  • Another good list Mike... Have the gulls learned to use the stones as tools? I've got a feeling I read somewhere about them using stones to break shells open. Perhaps it was dexterity training for when it finds a tough shell lol

Thanks for sharing again :o)

• PimperneBloke said:

Another good list Mike... Have the gulls learned to use the stones as tools? I've got a feeling I read somewhere about them using stones to break shells open. Perhaps it was dexterity training for when it finds a tough shell lol

Thanks for sharing again :o)

You're welcome.

As yet I've not obtained a definitive answer as to what the gulls were actually doing. I thought I'd shared on here a similar event from a previous visit to RSPB Conwy back in August 2018, but searches found nothing, hence sharing the Flickr link. I understand they are known to use stones as tools, and also to drop crustaceans from a height on to a stone or rock to break open the shell.

A lot of juvenile play with animals and birds is learning how to find food.

• Funny seeing your photo of the Gull carrying something. While we were at Well-next-the -Sea a couple of weeks back, I took some similar photo's. In this case I think it was a complete mussel shell that it was trying to break, by dropping it on the shore rocks. Looks like you had a good trip.

• SnappyMac said:

Funny seeing your photo of the Gull carrying something. While we were at Well-next-the -Sea a couple of weeks back, I took some similar photo's. In this case I think it was a complete mussel shell that it was trying to break, by dropping it on the shore rocks. Looks like you had a good trip.

I have seen that photo, and I think commented, it was very clear to see as it plummeted down.

There's a lot more to gulls than many appreciate, not just gulls, all birds and animals