Brownsea Island 18/03/24

As it had been a few days since I managed to get out and about, and as I had this week off, and also, as Brownsea opened to the public for the season Saturday and also, as well, the weather was set to be dry (but grey), I decided to treat myself to a day trip, from the boat a Mallard with an apparently bendy bill

Only saw a couple of Cormorant on the trip over

Lots more Shags were about

And there were a couple of Great Northern Divers

The first sighting after navigating the Welcome area was a male Peacock (I didn't actually see any females this trip)

And shortly thereafter the first Red Squirrel (I used a whole battery on squirrels and peacocks, but have trimmed down the number of pics I'm sharing!

I think I got spotted!

After all that scurrying about, I managed to capture the classic pose

All the while the Peacocks were wandering about

Who knew Red Squirrels like nothing more than springtime walks, through the fallen leaves

After grounded malarkeying, one decide to go arborial, to use one of natures toothpicks

Think yourselves lucky... that first part was culled from 400 pics lol... I decided to head on over to the lagoon hides, to see who or what was about

Redshank (a couple)

Avocet (a couple of separate pairs, and a flock of half a dozen or so)

This poor gull was sat minding his own business when a pair of Jackdaws (I think) came to harass him

He gave them short shrift and they scarpered, and he let forth his victory cry, reaffirming his status as the king of the shingle

There were some distant Sandwich Terns (just in front of the first of the Avocets)

There were a couple of Greylag on an island, but throughout my time in the hide they were hunkered down, apart from a brief moment I was along the path

Peering through the fence, a Greenshank

Another Avocet

Another Redshank

A distant Godwit

Black Headed Gull preparing a nest (ready to be usurped by the returning Terns)

I left the 2nd hide and headed along to a convenient picnic bench for lunch, where I was joined by a couple of Chaffies

Tricks of the light, a blue mallard and a green mallard, that are the same mallard!

Then a surprise guest for lunch, as the light drizzle started

The squirrel had his fill, and moved off, allowing the Tits back

Just one small hop...

You can just see the cogs whirring... if they can do it, so can I!

I finish stuffing my face, and wandered on, a flash of russet catching my eye

After careful consideration

He decided my lardy fat bum was no threat to him... And it was safe enough for a snackette

I decided to head back for the boat home, detouring to the original Squirrel site... the later squirrels appeared to have a much richer colour, (but not sure if that was just the light, or maybe age differences?) and the Peacocks were still loitering

I'd never seen the back of a Peacock before... think Gadwall, but bigger.... and green!

I'd heard a few, but saw the first Robin

Leap of Faith

Unfortunately I was a bit slow, and missed his head in 4 frames, but .....

This final set aren't cropped, just resized to get sub 5mb

Could be in the bottoms up thread!

After much backing away....

And so ended a pretty spectacular day on Brownsea, despite the gloom.

Hope you enjoyed the pics

Stay Safe All