Butterflies & Moths 2024

It's well overdue for starting. This is the link to last years thread

Butterflies and Moths 2023 

There haven't been a lot of butterflies around here this year so far. The earliest was a fresh Red Admiral on the 3rd of january

Since then I've seen a Speckled Wood & Peacock. There have been Brimstone's about but I haven't seen them. Plenty of time left in the year to go chasing butterflies.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• After yesterdays failure to get a decent photo of the pugnacious Swallowtail  I had better photo ops on my other transect today -  Got stopped by lots of people who were genuinely interested in what I was doing and seeing andI was pleased to be able to point different wildlife out 

Holly Blue on Hemp Agrimony 

Wall 

Brown Argus the female was trying to flight off the unwanted attentions of the male and was very obviously telling hin=m she had mated - the next few photos also show how important Ragwort is as a nectar source 

Painted Lady

Small Copper and Wall

My first tiger of the year 

Cin J

• Excellent captures Cin. I always love to see blue butteflies. There is very little of anything in my area - a few whites, Speckled Woods, Meadow Browns and the occasional Red Admiral. So it's good to see your wonderful collection and others on here ... Thumbsup

• Great selection Caroline, didn't realise how important Ragwort is to so many other than Cinnabars!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr