A year in photos by Hazy

Firstly,  thank you all for your support, especially that of Wendy,  when I had problems with my account due to rspb technical software issues which resulted in false-flagging spam/abuse and was sorry to learn that during my long absence there were similar problems for other forumates accounts.     

I don't take anything like the number of photos these days and haven't upgraded to mirrorless yet so still using the Canon 5Dmkiii with the 300mm f2.8 lens which much of the time needs the 2 x converter with many species being too distant.      4 years ago, as most of you know, we gave up our large woodland garden to move into an apartment although we do have access to parkland/woodland and even a bird hide overlooking a large mere.       In order to contribute something I have decided to choose a selection of photos from the time I've been off the community which includes visits to Leighton Moss in Silverdale and our first visit to Minsmere last May which was beyond impressive with the variety of species around.     So as not to overload you with all the photos, I will add them in batches, a few at a time.    Remember, these are taken over a long period of time and at different times and seasons of the year. !!    

So where to begin ? ............... maybe I'll start with photos from where I live and this shows the pond which our apartment overlooks ..........   

As I say, these are all random photos taken throughout the year so don't panic when you see chicks in this section. !

We have a lot of small birds which visit a ground and hanging feeder we have on our balcony and have had over 20 different species to the balcony including Greenfinch, Bullfinch, G.S.Woodpecker and Siskin on rare occasion but most days its the various members of the tit family,   BT, GT, CT 

Male sparrowhawk perched on the balcony rail - who wouldn't be scared of that LQQk  ?   lol 

not crystal clear as taken through the patio doors 

On the water below we've seen Moorhens, Swans, Mallards and even Kingfishers.      Each year the moorhens and mallards have broods so we only have to lean over the balcony to see them.

Sadly, none of these moorchicks survived last year and the adult female died defending her offspring  from Grey Herons but as we know and have to accept,  it's all part of nature "red in tooth and claw"  :(

offspring at the Heronry;   comical looking chicks which look a little prehistoric !

We also have a large number of wild Mandarin ducks that breed here - I think numbers have been higher in the past, but last count of visible Mandarin was 90+

and the drakes can be feisty too over securing a mate .....

Lady Mandarin 

Before PB gets too bored I will include a Cormorant which are often seen around on mere  LOL. 

lots of regulars by the bird hide including this cute little Wren

Also a Chiffchaff at the hide ...

Last year on the residential parkland we were treated to the sight of Spotted Flycatchers which bred so got a few quick pics of them 

lots of 'lollipops' around 

Not far from home we saw this Tawny Owl;   snoozing during the day

Other birds on the local mere include Tufted ducks, Shovelers  ...

and our resident Mute Swan pair finally raised a brood of 6 cygnets which all survived :)

and the proud parents of the cygnets ....

I think that's enough to swamp you with for now .........    I'll upload some from visits to Leighton Moss and first visit to Minsmere next time ..... 

Regards, Hazel 

• Well you haven't lost your knack Hazel, lovely variety and superb pics. What a treat with the flycatchers :o)

Looking forward to your next update
  • Really nice photos there and some great captures of the juvenile heron, fly catchers. So lucky to be able to get out to the RSPB sites. I have yet to ever visit any of them. Hope to do so one day.
  • Great set, nice to see you still have the touch.
  • Lovely selection Hazel and lovely to see your beautiful pond again...welcome back ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• What a glorious comeback post aitch, such a wonderful variety of pics of your usual clarity, you certainly know how to get the best from your kit albeit a 'tad' heavy to lug around! Looking forward to more Hugging

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hello dear hazy and welcome back, hopefully for good! What a start as well. Great photos and stories to go with them. Look forward to the next and following installments.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Good to see you back - and still taking pics :-) Surprised you go out at all with so much on your doorstep!

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Many thanks everyone for the warm welcome back and kind comments;    to continue, I will add a few now from Minsmere rspb taken last May and let you know that the main highlight of our first visit there wasn't just the Bitterns and first sighting of a Water Vole but it was finally catching with with the famous WJ and his lovely wife;  a real pleasure to meet you Whistling Joe and Mrs WJ and hate to ruin your evening but we'll be returning this June. !!     31st May - 7th June so you may want to wear your camouflage gear in order to hide from us although not sure even with camouflage how you will hide that long lens  LOL.  

OK,  random selection from Minsmere .....    Hey WJ,  you weren't kidding about those brazen booming bitterns popping up in front of the hides;   this was Island Hide early morning

To make matters more exciting this one was constantly booming and being so close to the Island Hide the sound was astonishing !

Not sure if it was just coincidence but before each boom it would take a gulp of water !    maybe a gargling boom. LOL

and as this one left ........

the next one flew in and thought it was going to land inside the hide, hence I didn't get the whole bird in frame

- no chance to adjust settings as I was ducking for cover  LOL  

Sun was straight out in front so not the best image of .......if I remember rightly.......  a Garden Warbler,  one of about 5 seen around the reserve

It's such a long time ago, I didn't make a note of species so please correct any ID's that may be wrong as all I have to go on is a failing memory !

Cetti's warbler ?  there was one in this area 

Reed Warbler ?   the domed head is confusing me !    ID help required please;

You can tell I haven't been birdwatching on reserves much this last year LOL

and our first view of a very cute Water Vole which was in a brook between Island and Bittern hides ....

Wild crane's flew past in the distance and landed in the reeds far right of the Island hide ....    

Watching the Sand Martins darting back and forth near the visitor centre was thrilling as they headed for their nesting holes 

Muntjac deer were often seen early morning as we walked along the path to the hide 

male Marsh harrier overhead .....

nearer the shoreline a lovely Dunnock amongst the gorse 

A Linnet

female Stonechat who was most obliging !

Lot's of Hobby's in the air in the afternoon ......

Well, not sure what else from Minsmere but think that's more than enough before you fall asleep   LOL. 

Regards, Hazel