Brandon Marsh 15 Jan 2024

My first visit to Brandon, and a much needed boost after Xmas/NY.

It was cold, no, make that raw, though the temp was only just below zero, all pools were frozen over, with small pockets that either had flowing water in to them, or the morning sun was casting its futile heat over.

But it was good to be out.

I’d heard the starlings had been very quiet, so I wasn’t expecting to see any murmuration, and with only one sighting of Barnie, which didn’t make for much to aim for. But getting out was the reward on it's own, everything else would be a bonus.

What did shock me was the tide marks from the heavy rainfall we’d experienced between Xmas and New Year, debris deposited in some high places.

Just to set the location detail, Brandon Marsh is a flood plain, and as such, the reserve is managed accordingly.

Not to be deterred, there’s always something to see, just sometimes you need to stop, look, listen and understand what has happened, is happening, seek and you’ll see.

The morning started quite unusually, a very disgruntled robin was rudely awoken by my car headlights as I pulled up into a parking bay!

I did sympathise, even I’d feel disgruntled if the same happened to me, but with modern cars now having daytime running lights that stay on even after switching the ignition off, I did feel for the poor chappie, only to be disturbed again when I opened the car door and the side lights came on!

Dawn over Albans Reedbed

Sunrise over Albans Reedbed

A very quiet starling murmuration, click HERE to watch the short video.

A frozen East Marsh Pool, the other pools were similar

Waterfowl huddled in one of the small and very few areas of little or no ice….

Mr & Mrs Shoveler: “Dancing on ice”?

The shovelers did find water to swim on, but none seemed to dare put their beaks below the water surface…..

The mallard cartel

Mr Mallard

A crow keeping an eye on me as I pass by

The sightings for those interested in alphabetical order:

• Blackbird
  • Blue Tit
  • Cormorant
  • Gadwall
  • Jay
  • Mallard
  • Mute Swan
  • Robin