Odds & Sods 2024

Kicking off this year's odds and sods with Starlings in a rainbow on that extreme rarity: sunshine.

It was early morning, with the sun barely cresting the tree line. We were able to get out for our morning walk as it wasn't raining. This photo is my trusty Canon 80D and Sigma 18-300mm lens zoomed in at 300mm.

Pulling back a bit.

And finally all the way back.

Oh, 2024 got off to a good start with this.

So far my cat, perhaps two neighbouring cats visiting our garden, a local fox and Tawny owl, and this trap have accounted for at least five of the beasties. Sightings of rats in our garden are getting rarer, so I think I'm winning. Two rather timid and wary rats, that I know of, are proving more elusive to catch. I've resorted to buying a lethal trap. The trap was triggered, yesterday, but no rat, sadly. Though a mouse might have triggered it, and was small enough to be within the kill bar.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• I do like that top photo Kevin, a very nice view. Great to see the stonechat.

• Thank you Slight smile I had muddy trousers and elbows to show for that one. Stonechats are glorious, aren’t they!

• They are indeed Kevin, I love the way they often just sit up there for you 

• Cracking photo there BD. Love the detail.

• Thank you all for your comments on my Kingfisher sequence. I was very pleased with them.

Jumping back to the beginning of our walk as we crossed Hambledon lock. The sun was actually shining. A rare occurrence this year. I was very surprised to see a whole load of Egyptian geese playing on the weir so close to many people crossing the bridges over the weir. These nervous birds take flight if you get within 100m of them around where we live. Yet they were quite unconcerned as people passed over them no more than 3 or 4 metres from them.

Subsequently, I was able to get close up shots, with rather nice detailing due to reasonable light conditions. OK, the old lens was still cranked out to its maximum 300mm, which isn't the best place for it to be, but the results were still very good.

Look pa, I'm skating.

I like my Canon 80D. Heavier than my R7 (which is based on the 90D, which in turn was based on the 80D), with older sensor technology, but still very capable. One feature I hate is the on/off switch being on left side of the camera. I like attempting BIF photos. This normally means there is very little time to get a camera up and focused on a bird or birds before it or they are out of range or sight. With the on/off switch on the right side of a camera, I can turn it on with my right thumb, while bringing it up to my eye and turning the lens with my left hand (as I my hand is around the lens), all in one smooth action. With the on/off switch on the left side, I have to turn on the camera with my left hand and then transfer my hand to the lens, as I being the camera up. This can lose me half a second or so precious time. It is amazing how far an animal can travel in half a second

For the next sequence of photos, I knew the Egyptian geese were going to take off. A small group of cyclists had stopped on the narrow foot bridge just ahead of us, but parallel to the geese. The geese took exception the cyclists were looking away from them as they were consulting a map. Egyptian geese  have this odd way of honking before taking. The honks start slow then rapidly build up in frequency before reaching a loud crescendo, where upon they take off.

Thus, I was ready and sure my 80D was on and the Sigma lens correctly set. I wasn't sure if I was pointing the camera at the birds or not, before they took off.

With the birds now separated by a reasonable amount, the issue was which one do I focus on? I think I chose the lead bird.

Oh well, it had to happen. They flew behind a wooded area. I could hear them honking way down stream after I lost them.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Lovely set Angus, smiled at your "which one to focus on" remark, a conundrum that my brain just can't cope with as the action is going on, wish it was an easy choice Laughing

• I have not been that close to egyptian geese, great photo's Angus. Regarding the On/Off switch, I turn mine On at the start of the trip and Off at the end. If I am holding the camera it is On, I have not yet flattened a battery on a single trip. I just touch the Shutter button to wake it up as I lift the camera.

• Scream I think I'd be freaking out Mac Laughing although, thinking about it, you're obviously right, it never actually runs out 

• A day in the Malverns is always special. The mighty fungi were out in abundance, a pretty female stonechat sat for a while and a rainbow Rainbow sent me on my merry way. Nature is always amazing and never lets you down Slight smile

Fabulous photos Kevin, that fungi, certainly caught the light perfectly, and clarity of  the rainbow, a nice outing.

• I like my Canon 80D. Heavier than my R7 (which is based on the 90D, which in turn was based on the 80D), with older sensor technology, but still very capable.

Another brilliant sequence of BiF photos Angus.

DSLR cameras are still just as capable, even if they don't have quite the same focusing opportunities as mirrorless cameras.