11th Sept Ferrybridge (Portland Causeway Lagoon)

I said about a couple of Ferrybridge trips to post about, well there's this one, in grey and murk and gloom, and there was another one, in lovely sunshine, with Wheatears, a swallow or two, and my only ever Little Terns...including feeding a youngster.... but bleedin Lightroom ate it. Gutted doesn't come close... yet another reason why I hate editing and editing software!

Anyhow, back to the murk and another opportunity to experiment with new lens and camera.... in the car park, mewing Herring Gull

Chattering Sparrow flock

To the waters edge, and lots of Dunlin about

Almost always head down until they catch something

Ringed Plovers abounded

Along with Turnstones. I think all three species outnumbered even the gulls

Narcissus Dunlin

What's going on then?

I'm gonna 'ave you if you don't naff orf

What I want to know is..... who did the Plover nick that gigantic wing off?

Oiii... I told ya once....

Guess Who?

I managed a couple of nice sequences of flight shots

As I was walking around the edge of the tidal area I was slowly making my way closer to the birds. The image quality certainly improved with less murk between me and the subjects

Remember Guess Who.... well Ta-Daaaaah

One of several Pied Wagtails, including a still yellowy faced youngster (which somehow I managed not to get in focus!)

Another mini quiz... who else is in the pic, aside from the Bar Tailed Godwits? Don't scroll too fast coz the answer is the next picture!

That's right you clever old sticks... Sandwich Tern

There were 3 distant, widely spaced Carrotbills

I was still edging closer by my circuitous route

Suddenly a ways in front of me a Little Egret plopped itself down

And then promptly went again.

There were a number of this type of plumaged gulls... don't know the aging process I'm afraid... but always think they look proper dapper!

Higher up another Sandwich Tern was on the wing... look at that glorious late summer heatwave blue sky!!

And when it came in to land it was apparent there were 4 Terns

A closer Oystercatcher

Overhead a couple of Herring Gulls glided effortlessly by (I forgot I could have taken the lens down from 600mm... uncropped lol)

Nearly got it all in

I thought I'd try some eye level to the wader shots

Luckily the camera has a pull out and twist LCD screen, or I'd still be wallowing in the seaweed like a giant walrus!

And as I was crouched some of the local feral pigeons popped in to say hello... I'd never notice their eye clolour before

I caught up with one of my old mates before crossing the road to investigate the harbour side of the causeway

On the scrubby bit of land by the boat sheds, young goldfinch

And then Google Lens insists the next 2 images are Greenfinch, but I was sure they are Siskin

And Google Lens agreed with me on this third image.... they are all of the same bird!

Another Waggie

And finally, a clicking churring Starling

I hope you enjoyed my grey day, and I'll keep searching for the missing trip but don't hold out much hope.

Stay Safe All