A visit to RSPB Saltholme.

A visit yesterday to RSPB Saltholme before heading up to Seaton Carew to visit the Little Tern colony

Avocets

Common Tern

Reed Warbler

Grey Heron

Common Snipe

Reed Bunting

Lapwing

Black Headed Gull

???? Damselfly 

Pied Wagtail

Black Tailed Godwit

Ringlet ?

???

Little Egret

Wren

• Some lovely photos there, Bob, my favourites being the reed warblers on their reeds!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great photo's Bob, I like the Tern carrying the fish :)
  • Fabulous set as always Bob.
    Not sure if you'd heard but the brownsea island common and sandwich terns, and bh gulls got decimated, over the last month or so. 600 died due to bird flu over . I've not heard anything untoward about  the chesil little terns tho

• PimperneBloke said:

Fabulous set as always Bob.
    Not sure if you'd heard but the brownsea island common and sandwich terns, and bh gulls got decimated, over the last month or so. 600 died due to bird flu over . I've not heard anything untoward about  the chesil little terns tho

I've not heard much about what is happening With regards to Avian Flu at the Farnes this year other than it seems its the Black Headed Gulls that are being hammered by it tis year. This colony of Little Terns is nicely isolated and they seem to be able to fish at the same location - so fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. I hadn't realised that the flu had managed to spread that far round - I was led to believe it was mostly an east coast problem

• Glad to hear that colony is ok so far. We lost a lot of gannets down here last year, too, particularly along Chesil and on to Portland. It seems odd to me that Brownsea is still open despite the DEFRA report, they've only closed the DWT area overlooking the lagoon.