Ullswater diaries. Day 2. Part 6. RSPB St Bees head. Razorbills

First time I have knowingly seen a Razorbill. These two were right close to a viewing point near the lighthouse. Not the closest one, but on further south overlooking the main breeding colony.

They sort of shuffled quietly around the rock face as we ate our lunch. They didn't like the paparazzi photographing them.

Loads of Razorbills flying to and fro the cliffs. I set my R7's AF to Whole Area AF. This is a setting I would never have used with my Canon 80D, as it would focus on anything. I did turn on AI animal and eye tracking, and let it work its magic. Once it locked on to a Razorbill, I would start clicking away; once again forgetting that my Drive Mode was set to continuous.

The beauty of a camera with high pixel count, if that you can crop photos quite heavily.

This is AI tracking at work. It identified the Razorbill as a bird, picking it out from a rather busy background. It then locked onto it, following it around and keeping it in focus.

Likewise, the AI tracking picked out these birds rather than focusing on the sea. Kind of makes photography too easy.

When you first spot Guillemots and Razorbills swimming on the sea, they look like dust mites on a piece of paper.

I liked the way they would swim with each other. It was also fascinating to watch what AI tracking would lock onto.

Here we have one group of Razorbills and one group of Guillemots, sailing through each other. Almost like Nelson at Trafalgar.

I believe the Razorbills were nesting further south from the viewing points. So no photographs of them

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.