PB and Mrs PB in Scotland ... Save the Best for Last

So we'd had a good week, a couple of misty and murky half days, but otherwise dry, so rather than drive miles (with the 500+ mile drive home on Saturday to look forward to) we stayed local-ish, 10 minutes up the road, across the water on the little 3 car maximum ferry to Luing. Picnic packed and weather set fair, we decided to make a day of it.

We decided to start at the Atlantic Islands Centre, and as we approached it, one of my hoped for birds, Hooded Crow, was strutting along the verge

We spent an interesting half hour there, before moving on, having acquired a map, to scout out Cullipool, Tobernochy and the old Graveyard. In the graveyard a Pied Wagtail sat atop one of the taller memorials, elevenses in mouth!

On the green outside the graveyard, a very rare Long-Legged Song Thrush... rumour has it it's legs developed to help it wade from the mainland

I've not managed to capture many butterflies so far this summer, so an incoming Green Veined White was fair game!

We went to Tobernochy, and spying a bench overlooking the water, decided it was a fine picnic spot. As we approached a convenient bench, a small wader flew across the bay, an ID would be nice please Blush

Closer to the bench an Oystercatcher sparkled in the sunshine

There were rumours of a healthy breeding mistle thrush population, but I think this is a Song Thrush taking advantage of the soft ground

Don't often see them flying!

We finished lunch and went for a bit more of a pootle, and saw a sign for Blackmill Bay, and thought...well that sounds nice, so headed that way. What a fine decision that turned out to be. As we approached, sat on the shoreline alongside some geese and swans... only a bleedin' eagle!!

I still think it's a youngish White Tailed Eagle, but I'm no expert, and it could be a Golden as Tigerss suggested in the Birds of Prey thread. My original assumption was that it was the same bird as we saw a little later (that has a distinctive white tail), but comparing images, I now think it's a different bird!

There will now follow a number of photo's, some mainly to show scale, and others to show it's no fun being an eagle if there is a territorial Oystercatcher about!!

The geese and swans were quite happy as long as it was grounded! Eeeeek, it's movingggggg!!!

How big??!!

As I said, feisty aggressive Oystercatcher!

Spot the feather!

With that, the eagle drifted off, and as my pulse slowed, a phalanx of Canada Geese returned

And the Greylags returned...not sure why the first one had his knickers in a twist tho!

Also on the shoreline, a couple of Whimbrel appeared

We had a little mooch, and read the information board, back in the day this was the islands hub for shipping out of slate. An old stone built building was proving attractive for some Swallows

And ewe's and lambs were in its shadow, but more were enjoying the sun

A small patch of rough grass housed a Lark, singing, spiralling up, then parachuting down

Swallows mud collecting

And possibly making baby swallows (are they gulps, by the way?? Wink)

Time for the Lambs' afternoon tea

Suddenly, all the geese were up again... I scanned the far shore.... White Tail!! Certainly whiter than the previous eagles'

Not so many shots of this one, as it was so far away, just enough to show it's no fun, what with Oystercatchers, and now a gull and hooded crow!!

A golden Dung Fly

And another bird on a wire... Willow Warbler

And so concluded our week away, on a veritable high note!

Thanks for viewing, and I hope you enjoyed. I'm still working on the boat trip pictures, but who knows when that might appear!!

Stay Safe All