A Suffolk river walk with Otters in mind.

Earlier this week my wife and I went for a river side walk in North Suffolk, friends had said they had seen a pair of Otters a few days ago so we thought we'd try our luck. It was cold, cloudy and windy but we soon forgot that when a chap ahead of us pointed across the river. The two Otters, a female and cub we were told by a local we met later, and they stayed visible swimming along up stream and climbing out on to the far bank occasionally for best part of an hour.

They were diving and coming up with fish on a regular basis.

After a while they separated and one went up stream the other down, we followed what appears to be the youngster up stream.

Still catching fish, this one appears to be a Bullhead or Miller's Thumb, a spikey fish a bit like a Perch, and the Otter took a long time gently chewing away at before eventually swallowing it. The following pictures are only a fraction of what I took and it all took place close to the near bank and I had to zoom back to get the Otter in the frame. I hate to think how many shots I would have got if half the time the action hadn't taken place behind reeds and trees along the bank side.

The Otter dived again next to an overhanging tree and didn't come up again, so I assume it went into a Holt to sleep off a belly full of fish.

While looking for the other Otter, which we didn't see again, we found these Mandarin Ducks, only the second wild ones we've ever seen. A least the sun had come out now to light up the Mandarins.

One of the males was displaying and looking quite perky so I waited and was rewarded by a mating display.

The other male came to watch but didn't join in so may not have been mature and was just watching and learning.

To round the day off, the first Brimstone to land and give me a chance of a take off shot this year.

To use a rather large understatement, that was what I call a "Grand Day Out".

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Those are all absolutely magic Trevor. The Otters, Mandarins and the Brimstone are all wonderful. Well done. Your patience was rewarded ... ThumbsupThumbsup (definitely deserves two thumbs)

• Thanks Billysdad,
    I spent the whole time pinching myself, especially when the young Otter ( I assumed it was a youngster from the pearly white teeth) came to the near bank and caught and ate the fish.
    Trevor
  • Stunning photos. So vivid. Thanks for sharing.
  • Amazing day, Trevor, and as always beautifully documented.... don't think much of the otter's table manners tho lol. As a contrast, I went out yesterday, in grey dull wind and general murk, and saw basically *** all lol.... I'll have to move over your way I think!!

Thanks for sharing such wonderful pics
  • I'd be hard pressed to remember a better day with the camera, and to think I travelled all the way to the Scottish Highlands in a failed attempt to see Otters last year.Grimacing
    Trevor
  • How lovely to be able to spend time with the Otters. The male Mandarin ducks look like painted ornaments!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I AM SCUNNERED! LOL
    I have otters literally on my doorstep and I have yet to see them ....Absolutely stunning photos Trevor. I went looking for a Night Heron late yesterday at my local that has been seen there or as a consolation the otters but got nothing other than attacked by midges.
    Mandarins  are also an unseen favourite of mine ...thanks for sharing ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Hi Trevor another masterclass of photos, I think rivers give you something different which you have proved in abundance. Fabulous photos of the otters, I keep looking but not seen any as yet. The mandarins looked beautiful in the sunshine, and to manage to get a brimstone to stay still why you photographed it isn’t easy, I should know they just fly by me. Well done Trevor a magnificent day out I would say.
  • Hi Linda,
    Many thanks for the comments, this was my best view of Otters in Suffolk by some way, previous views have either been in post sunset gloom or at great distance at places like Minsmere and then only a handful of times. These two were very confiding and viewed from a well used river path.
    Trevor.
  • Hi ILR,
    Many thanks for the comments, These two very confiding Otters appear to be a sign that Otter numbers appear to continue improving. I have heard of Otters being occasionally very easy to watch in town and city rivers, but this spot is quite rural although the path is quite well used. We feel very honoured to have seen them so close.
    The Brimstone appeared to be just having a rest after it's long search for it's preferred plants and gave gave me a few seconds to set up the shots I got.
    Trevor