Shoveler duck courtship dance or spin video

Morning folks,

I don't normally create a new topic, but I figured this was sufficiently interesting not to be buried in Odds & Sods, where I usually put stuff.

I first spotted this behaviour last week. I only photographed it. The birds were too far away to video, light conditions manky beyond belief, and I didn't have anything to support my heavy camera/lens combo. This week, the birds were much closer (about 50 yards away), light conditions much brighter, and (most importantly) I could rest my dirty, great, heavy lens on Colebrook Lake South (Moor Green Lakes) viewing screens. Even then, there is a lot of camera wobble - though my lens was all out at 600mm.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Never seen that before! ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Hi Angus, yes I've seen this behaviour too. Here's a pair at Dinton Pastures I shot a few years ago.

I came to the conclusion that they were feeding but that it was also a bonding/courtship activity.

Shovelers have bristle like structures on their bills which I think are called lamellae used to filter inedible particles. I think other species of duck may have them too. This helps to explain the "spinning" method of feeding. I've seen lone Shovelers feeding like this as well.

On one occasion a Shoveler came close enough to show these "bristles" ..... I was gobsmacked.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• What a cracking close up Tony ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)