Just back from a small look around today

After the above Mallard here come the Pintail with their heads buried

Nice Male

Think these could be Shovellers

The Swan came alongside

Next a few Lapwing

Love these birds

Drove to another area where I spotted Nuttie almost at once in front of me, 

Evidently we have a different species here in Wales, climbing up the vegetation :-)

I climbed up away from the walkers and dogs, hoping for red squirrels but found these lovely catklin bushes instead.

Homeward bound again I caught a glimpse of a bird flying up and ahead over the fields, managed to pull over

AT LAST!!!!!!  the Kite was good to me.

Happy to return home for lunch and had the time to put these up, going off to dinner with daughter now to finish off lovely day.

Gaynor

Lot to learn

• Congrats on your Red Kite Gaynor :o)
    I see you had better luck with Nutty than I did.... I don't think there was any need to rub it in though lol
    I'm going to neither confirm nor deny the Shoveller ID, coz I'm not good enough and need to see them side on lol

Thanks for sharing your small look around, and hope dinner is yummy :o)
  • Lots seen during your small look around.
  • Another lovely selection Gaynor, well done with the Kite in flight!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Cheers all, yes dinner was "yummy" PB, always is when you don't cook it yourself, as for the Shovellors, well it is always good to put a name to the feathered creatures you see, even if you haven't a clue :-) Thought you might like to see Nutty upside down!!
    The Kite was a definite bonus Wendy, that's the second time I have seen it while driving home from the little town just up the road, this time when I pulled over it was still soaring around, last time it did a runner, or rather, flew ahead at a terrific rate of knots and disappeared.

Lot to learn

• Some great pictures there Gaynor! Especially the Nuthatch, I've hardly even seen them let along got a decent picture of one!
    I think your shovellers might be Teal - the left-most bird definitely has the telltale head mark.
    Don't know if that is the same for the rest of them though!

Edit - I also think your first Pintail picture might actually be teal? If you zoom in on the males head there seems to be some green there. Also if the male is a teal then the female probably is aswell as pintails are about double the size of teals!

Regards

Benji

• Cheers Benji, I beg to differ!!!!! the Pintail has a white stripe on dark head unlike the Teal which is darker grey and has white stripe along body. I am looking at my book as I type this, they are all ducks to me :-)

Lot to learn

• I'm agreeing with BenjiS - but for a different reason.

The plumage colouration and location near the 'parson's nose'. Both species have a similar coloured patch, but in different places.
  • Thanks for your help everyone, always good to learn :-)))))

Lot to learn