Brandon Marsh and perseverance....

With not too many photos on subsequent visits, the only real goal is to obtain a reasonable photo, or two, of the barn owl.

I've lost track of what photos I've shared and what not, with the last week being total early morning trips to Brandon Marsh, so my apologies if any have been duplicated.

Monday 23rd January

The sun casting its early glow over the reeds on Central Marsh

After a fruitless morning, it was time for a sausage bap and a hot choccie, while watching the feeders through the window.

A nuthatch going to the pond for a drink. Sadly, the actual photo of it drinking was too dark to save.

A goldfinch, also trying for a drink, on the frozen pond by the cafe window

followed by a reed bunting (F)....

Thursday 26th January

A goldcrest with the obligatory branch/twig in view....

Mr & Mrs Goosander

Is it me, or is that goosander pairs, are always male first followed by the female?

Lots of long tailed tits among the reeds....

While at the cafe, having a thaw out, a marsh tit comes to the feeders.

Robbo, we can safely say that was a marsh from a previous visit. Apparently talking to a warden they have no willow tits, but are trying to encourage them back.

Friday 27th January

I just got into the hide, and as I opened the flap, what I thought was a buzzard flying in to the fence post,....

The camera wasn't ready, it was a case of grab, point, shoot and hope for the best, no settings checked until afterwards, with about six black images....

Uncropped, with the following settings

• Lens       400mm
  • Exp         1/3 sec
  • Aperture  f5

Yes, it was the barn owl.

The barn owls, yes, more than one heard, were very vocal this particular morning. Noting the time and how light it was, I feared they would be tucked up in bed by the time I got in the hide, so you can guess my amazement that followed.

And with the photo cropped as much as I dare....

A couple to finish the morning off

I can walk on water.....

Christopher Dean (1984 Olympic Ice Skaters Torvil & Dean) isn't a patch on me....