Odds & Sods 2023

After yet another successful year on the Odds & Sods thread, initially started I think by Hazy, it might be wise to kickstart the 2023 thread off.

Thank you to those who have contributed to last years thread, and there has been very interesting odds and sods in "Odds & Sods 2022" that aren't enough to place into a dedicated thread, which you can look back on the following link:

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/278729/odds-sods-2022/1417300?pifragment-4285=76#pifragment-4285=1

What better for me, and as yet, I've not ventured far, ewe know what I mean, with this lassie on Baddesley Clinton estate yesterday....

• Ice skating  Moorhen

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Unknown said:

Yet more deer from the Peaks, from Tuesday.

Great shots of the deer Bob, but I think number 2 is my fave. Lovely colours and shadows ... Thumbsup

• From spectacular photos of deer, wonderful scenery, plus lone Curlews and skating Moorhen, a more prosaic mixture from my frosty walk last Wednesday to chart restoration progress. Not much in the way of wildlife. Most hunkered down to survive -6C or less temperatures.

We can get 100 or more Lapwing. Not bad for small lakes in built up Wokingham/Finchampstead/Yateley area. However, there were but a scarce handful on Wednesday. These five were conserving energy on the newly 'restored' Finch pond; A fraction of its former size.

The hummock of land they are sat on were specifically created by Inert, the restoration company. Thing is, unless the hummock is protected (either via some membrane or vegetation) it will be eroded away in a few years.

Here is the location of the hummock the birds are sat on.

Zooming in on the birds, with a slightly wobbly fence post to support my arm pointing lens

Cropping one out. They do look so beautiful in the sunlight.

The bird on the extreme left went for a curious little circular walk.

Cropping a couple out

The nascent Longwater Road Nature Reserve is home to a fair number of Little White Egrets. Their numbers have increased noticeably over the past six years. They mostly stuck to Fleet HIll farm part of the reserve, but have now colonised the Manor Farm part. I counted at least ten of them, one morning.

This one was looking for food in a channel that Inert cut last year to drain the area. It disappears through a culvert under the Longwater road into Fleet Hill farm, and thence the river Blackwater.

Cropping out.

This is where it was. This whole area was a large lake, five years ago. Cemex had a few hundred thousand tonnes of inert material shipped in to fill it.

I felt it looked a little grumpy, probably as it was so cold

We have quite a few Shelduck in the area. Nice and colourful.

Cropping out

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Brilliant photos Angus.

Refresh my memory what camera set up you're using.

As for using fence posts etc to steady your camera, I rarely go out without my lightweight tripod, usually attached to my tripod carrier for easy hands free carrying, plus a small pouch for lunch, drinks flask, and the odd camera item.

I also carry a camera beanbag cushion (clipped to the tripod carrier to avoid losing it), ideal for resting on hide window/opening frames etc.

• Still on the hunt for the barn owl, and still no sighting, though, using the NV binocs, I did see something flying in a similar fashion to an owl, and long before sunrise. But I'm not getting excited, it could have been a ghost/alien!

Ghost/Alien  Scream    Grinning  

But, I did see some more likely birds....

These pics, no id's required, were taken from the cafe window while enjoying a hot choccie and a hot sausage bap....

• Hello Mike,

Setup is Canon 80D with Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.

I am about to start taking my light weight monopod with me. I stopped using it for the most curious of reasons. The natural frequency of the monopod and my old camera set up were identical. Thus, when I push the shutter release, the movement of the mirror and shutter mechanism set up a slight vibration, which would cause ever so slightly blurred photos. I could hear a tzing, when pushing shutter release. I think it was more the fault of the camear. I stopped using my monopod.

However, I tried out my monopod with Canon 80D/Sigma lens two days ago. No problems. No vibrations. No tzing. Pin sharp images. Hence, my decision to start carry it with me. I find the monopod gives me a good, stable platform.

My photography style is possibly a little odd. I don't hang around in one location for very long. I tend to whizz down to Moor Green Lakes nature reserve and/or the quarry restoration and/or any where else, then whizz, stopping every now and again to photograph anything interesting - BIF in particular.

I do have a light weight tripod, but I tend to find that by the time I have hauled the thing out and set it up, my subject has either run off or flown off, even with quick release attachment.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Splish splash a just love ma bath ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Water? Blimey, we're still a solid block of ice, but allegedly warming up from today!
  • This little sweetheart is just adorable Heart eyes I love Robins and can't pull myself away from the window or move if I'm in the garden, when they are about. Thank you for sharing this one taking a bath!!! Sooo cute!! Well done Linda Hugging