A Couple of Days at WWT Slimbridge

After our week walking along the Wye Valley we went for a more wildlife focused stay at Slimbridge only a few minutes from the WWT Centre. We had two nights in a lovely B&B and went the WWT Centre everyday.

Our first day started with a Pied Wagtail in front of a hide.

Then 2 of 5 distant Snipe.

From another hide a Buzzard on the ground, not doing anything.

Then we spotted what we'd been hoping for, Cranes, but as ever flying away from us.

They must have sympathised with our disappointment because for once, after flying in a wide arc, they turned and headed straight back towards us.

And flew straight over the hide. I had hoped for a side on fly past but you can't have everything.

While that was happing the Buzzard had had a  fly around with some Crows and landed back down with one, but it never developed into anything.

From another hide, lots of Black-tailed Godwits and few Teal.

There were quite a few Swallows and Sand Martins skimming over the water, much better conditions than on the Wye, but still a bit too distant for a crisp shot.

Yet another perching Buzzard.

Another hide and a first for this year, a Green Sandpiper

Across the reserve looking towards the Severn, 3 of a group of up to 18 Cranes feeding. Looks like two adults and a youngster, sadly heat haze degrading the image.

No problem with heat haze looking straight up.

Chiffchaffs were still showing well.

Looking across the Severn there were lots of birds on the wing.

Widgeon

Dunlin

Curlew.

A young Swallow being given a hard time.

Towards the end of our second day, while talking to another couple, we saw more flying Cranes and we watched as they landed in front of the next hide along. 

A  quick trot along and two adults with youngster.

It appeared to be bath night.

When the first adult finished after a lengthy procedure the youngster had a go.

Followed by the second adult.

Drying off was also quite a drawn out affair.

Our last sighting before we headed back to Suffolk was this distant Spoonbill.

We also spent a lot a time with Flamingos and other foreign wildlife, I will cover that in a separate post. Needless to say we are now both WWT members and hope to return at a more productive time of year. Before that we will visit our more local WWT at Welney when the Swans arrive.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

• Great set - its a place I miss greatly for its varied wildlife.
  • From start to finish brilliant photos Trevor, you did well on the first day but topped it all with the crane photos on the second day, I thought I had done well watching a Pied Waggie bathing today but no drama there compared to seeing the cranes bathing and then seeing a Spoonbill too, fantastic, well done.

Lot to learn

• Such a lovely set of photos and wide range of species and good to see all the waterfowl and the late departing Sand Martins ! Those captures are amazing as it skims the surface and in flight. We've also joined WWT but really only have Martin Mere within distance for a days travel, however, like Slimbridge, they are superb reserves for both wild and captive species. Thanks for the post Trevor.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow Trevor, super shots. There were only 2 pairs of cranes when we went, and they were very reticent about being on view, so lovely to see yours Smiley Crisp or not, fab shots of the water skimmers!!
    Must have taken an age to sort through, so thank you for your time Smiley
  • Thanks PB,
    My previous experience of Cranes has been following reports of them being seen in Suffolk and Norfolk and on arrival being told they where there yesterday or last week, or they might be in some fields up the road(they weren't).
    Finally got a distant view of 2 at Hickling Broad a few years ago, so to see them relatively close and in numbers was a real treat.
    Trevor
  • Good to see your photos Trevor.

Slimbridge is place I really must get to, the last time I was there was back in the 60's. But my leg has dictated that I'm almost grounded since July.

However, on the more pleasant side, all the photos are as always, to your high standard, and I particularly liked the two housemartin photos, where they're almost kissing the water.

• Hi Mike,
    Slimbridge is quite a place and well worth a visit, especially at migration times. I must make further visits better timed.
    To get the best out of it does involve a lot of walking so hopefully you'll be able to get there before too long.
    How is your recovery going at the moment?
    I could have spent all day with the Martins hoping they would eventually do a water skim close enough for a sharp picture, but my long suffering wife would not have been impressed. The bathing Cranes were more than adequate compensation for that and my wife loved my action shots of them and watching them live.
    Best wishes for you getting mobile again.
    Trevor
  • TJS said:
    Hi Mike,
    Slimbridge is quite a place and well worth a visit, especially at migration times. I must make further visits better timed.
    To get the best out of it does involve a lot of walking so hopefully you'll be able to get there before too long.
    How is your recovery going at the moment?
    I could have spent all day with the Martins hoping they would eventually do a water skim close enough for a sharp picture, but my long suffering wife would not have been impressed. The bathing Cranes were more than adequate compensation for that and my wife loved my action shots of them and watching them live.
    Best wishes for you getting mobile again.
    Trevor

I can well believe it is quite a place to visit. My thinking is my one and only visit would be around the time it first opened. Not that I remember much, but it will have changed a lot since then.

The recovery is slow, and still ongoing since mid-June. I've just found out today, the next batch of tests can't be done with any open wounds etc. So I'm now in a chicken and egg scenario. If they can't dry it up, then I'm at the back of the queue.

So apart from a relaxed fortnight in Cornwall, which my wife and I have not long returned from, I've not really been anywhere. I did go to Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, and they had housemartins there, with a brood of three chicks!

They are fascinating little birds to watch, along with swallows as well.

• I nearly missed these Trevor wonderful photos and so many of them
    I have never been to this reserve but it looks fantastic
    Well done Trevor