Birds of Prey....Your Pictures Wanted!

I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to our beautiful Birds of Prey and hope you will share all your fabulous pics of them aswell ......

Please feel free to add your pics

I will kick it off with one of my regulars...Jock the Sprawk

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• You just seem to keep on giving SM!...soooo not jealous . BuT WoW anyhoo Laughing 

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks Linda Slight smile Very please with the hobby, it stayed a log way away though.

• Not the sharpest photo but a sparrowhawk this morning lurking up in the shadows.

• Not the sharpest photo

Why do you think it is not as sharp as it might be Bob. I get some like that, with my R7. The focus point is right on target, shutter, aperture and ISO fine, and I get a rather flat looking image. It appears to me with mine that the camera struggles seeing contrast sometimes and consequently struggles capturing it. Just my view. I took a sparrow yesterday, that had caught a damselfly. All the readings looked suitable, but it lacked detail when pixel peeping. Do you use a mirrorless camera, if you don't mind me asking?

• I switched to the R5 19 months ago from a bridge camera. Obviously you are going to get better photos although the P900 was great for a beginner like me. The R5, which is mirrorless, is great and can be very forgiving. I have spent the time since getting a "proper" camera trying to learn to use it. Back Button Focus which I think lots go on about really is an amazing thing. I do obviously switch settings etc but I do think I'm both a bit slow in that and also still got lots to learn regarding ISO, Shutter speed and aperture. I think sometimes you have a bird (or any animal)  right there and you lack some knowledge to make the best of it. I'm sure for moments that pass quickly that will be the same for those more adept.... it can still be annoying. I guess that's what comes with photographing wildlife.

• Hi Bob, I found a lot of my shots were taken too slow. I've since gone the other way and take everything as fast as appropriate and I've kind of 'learned' that I'm not scared of ISO and have raised that a lot to allow faster speed. A lot of mine are in shady areas hence, faster, for me anyway. Slight smile

PS. Nikon guy Thumbsup

• I have a setting for the quicker shots with a shutter speed set to 4000 per sec. I'm not really bothered with aperture because I'm usually just focussed on the subject. ISO however invariably ruins the shot and I let that select itself. Then I just get very noisy photos.

• Hi Bob. There's an ongoing thread HERE regarding people's trials and tribulations, experiments and experiences with mirrorless switching. Also, if you can track down one of Whistling Joes posts, in his footer there is a link to a whole host of useful equipment posts. Your sprawk looks fine to me btw :o)

• Cheers PB... I'll have a ganders.