Cornwall Holiday Wildlife

Rather than post many individual threads, plus withthe internet signal not being brilliant, I'll share some photos of the wildlife seen whilst on holiday in Cornwall, when signal permits....

So if I miss anything, or seem slow to respond, please bear with me, I am on holiday...   Grinning

Penzance Harbour, there were plenty of turnstones

Even turnstones have a bad hair day....

Away from the harbour, there were plenty of cormorants (dinsauromorants)

This one was practicing its life saving skills

"Oi, you, no diving off the harbour walls"

I always seem to struggle to get a clear photo of a cormorant in flight, the next two seemed to come out perfect....

they wanna be togetherrrrrrr

Alone again, naturally (Gilbert O'Sullivan 1971)

A rock pipet...

I don't see many pipets, so any corrections, or confirmations gratefully received.

Limpets

A single  oyster catcher (carrot bill)...

[first photo uncropped, the following oyster catcher photos are all cropped from the same viewpoint]

Tucking in to some nice juicy morsal...

and comes out with a mucky beak! Open mouth 

a while later, a clean beak...

• A quiet day Tuesday, chilling out on the terrace at Trevaunance Cove, but the bird life was still just as prevalent.

One of a pair of jackdaws picking up the crumbs left by visitors

Likewise this pipit (confirmations/corrections always gratefully received)

A juvenile gull riding the calm sun soaked waters of Trevaunance Cove, any ID gratefully received, but tempted to think herring gull...

And a juvenile robin, I'm not quite sure whether it was nearing the end of the moult, or it had mites, could be both.... But ever hopeful for food....

Ok, if you're not going to feed me, I'll just have to check the floor out....

• Thank you Zo.

Thats ok.  

I tend to feel the cormorant in flight photo issues are similar to photographing egrets, with white and black at the extremes of the colour spectrum, it pushes the sensors ability.

yes I’m very familer with the white and black photo issue I run into that problom a lot if I encounter a bright white bird like the egret Exsposure Can be a big problem with White birds I find when I take try to take a photo of A swan the camara automatically make the swan brighter than it actually is so you cant see any details and makes it hard to focus on the Subject sometimes so you have to try to adjust the exsposure so you can see the details. I find little egrets can be even more difficult though it can take me 5 or 10 minutes. but it can be even Worse if you use a close lense, or a Binoculars or a telescope cause it affects the amount of light that gets in and when it comes to close ups theres less field of view and there can be probloms with exsposure anyway makeing a white bird even more challangeing. Its even harder to get a bird that causes problems with exsposure in flight aswell but it’s worth it. I think it is a good example for pushing the sensors ability

However, the new camera seems to be averting a lot of those issues

thats good. That should help get more photos like the photo of the coumerant in flight 

• Well done Mike a good assortment thanks for sharing
  • Lovely sets of photos Mike and Cornwall looks glorious by the coast; nice to see the Turnstones, R'ippit, Oycs, Cormorant. It's an area of the country I yet have to visit on the ever growing list of places ! Thanks for the post and piccies.

Regards, Hazel 

• Good to see you are having a well earned holiday Mike, lovely weather too. I like the cormorant when close up with it's plumage showing so well, but you are doing well with the in flight pics too. Gorgeous blue water and oyster catcher standing so well for it's photo, with that red beak prominent.

Lot to learn

• More wildlife, this time Pendennis Castle, a castle originally built by King Henry VIII and was in active use as a garrison until 1956.

"If I hang around long enough, someone might take pity on me....."

Yes, even the housemartins are making the best of the warm weather with a late brood!

There's three chicks in this brood.

the parents busy flying in with food....

and off for more....

back again....

and again....

and again....

There are more rock pipits to come, checking out our apartment balcony for food, just got to sort those out, but they'll do for another days.

• Those are very good close ups you can see the feathers and the white on the tail and everything and I think the 4th or 5th one with the house Martin flying right is a good action shot
  • As promised, more rock pipits.

Just as my wife walks past the patio window, it looks up to her, probably hoping for crumbs....

Even as the patio door was slid open, it didn't flinch or move....

Marazion

"Checking the table is clear of food for you ma'am and sir....."

A gull, most likely a common gull.

Mevagissey

No birds, but they did have a very small aquarium.

Any corrections or confirmations gratefully received.

Lobster, but not sure which species.

Pollack

Sea Bass

Conger Eel

Flounder

• The two week holiday is almost at an end. My wife and myself both love the apartment, so we booked it again for next September. Not so sure we can book the weather though....

More of our patio visitors....

A blow dried rock pipit!

yes, the wind has been quite gusty here the last few days....

A white wagtail, not quite a prominent as the pipit, but a visitor nonetheless....

uncropped