Hazy's thread: October - Last day at Leighton Moss (beardies, bittern and bunting et.al )

I thought I may start this new thread for my future photos rather than posting into separate threads each time because I am conscious of multiple posts pushing other members new posts on to pages 2, 3, etc,  when I could combine all my outings/photos onto just this single thread;    all I need to do is change half the main title each time and then it gives other posters space on the main page (to add their own thread ) rather than having to go hunting for new posts as they tend to drop down too quickly these days. I will continue to use the existing threads like photo-bomb, bad pics, etc, that are already in situ as I am not creating future new threads.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here we go with this first post on my one and only thread. !    not many pics today but headed off to Leasowe on The Wirral although being so quiet there we headed then to Parkgate which was equally quiet today;   many birds skulking as they continue to moult their feathers and the tide well out so no waders inshore.  

This the view at Leasowe looking towards New Brighton/Liverpool 

We saw waders like Curlew, Redshank, Turnstone, lots of B.H.Gulls they were too distant to get decent pics as the tide needs to be well in to capture them on camera.

However,  this does not apply to Stonechats  lol.      This little beauty was posing beautifully and remained on each stem for long periods ..... not sure if this was a juvenile or adult female in mid moult. looking rather fluffy and very obliging I thought juvenile ?

young Goldfinch ........

when it turned around I noticed it had a tick on its face but hopefully once the tick has had its fill of blood it will drop off 

You can tell it's the first day back in school for children.   !!!       whole promenade to ourselves and a few dog walkers 

Parkgate was very quiet,  it has a vast salt marsh but we did spot a very distant Marsh Harrier - couldn't tell if it was adult female or juvenile 

on king/spring tide days you can get a raptor-fest spectacular with anything from hen harriers, marsh harriers, kestrels to escaping voles, mice, etc,  

also to be found are Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Stonechats.......   

In the winter you can see short eared owls

Regards, Hazel 

• A few hours in Tatton Park to see the red and fallow deer;   no signs of the rut yet and didn't see any stags until we were virtually heading out of the park.     Here's the photos from today but I may add them a few at a time so not to overload you.!!

A mix of red and fallow, quite a lot of younger deer and a couple of corvids in the mix ...    but starting with a view of the parkland and Tatton Mansion in the background

with little rainfall over the last few months the grass was pretty dry but in a way I thought that was better as the deer stood out better against it rather than lush green grass

go on, you've nearly pushed the tree over .............

will load a few more later or tomorrow ....          here goes with a few more ........

Regards, Hazel 

• Lots of lovely Deer Hazel...I did laugh at the one with its head on the treetrunk lol.
    Look forward to seeing more tomorrow...a little drizzle here the now...hopefully enough to give the plants a drink!

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Your Photos are Stunning Hazel Thanks for sharing and look forward to your next post
  • Nice to see Tatton Park with the deer getting ready for the rut Hazy, they look very peaceful at the moment but no doubt when the big boys arrive it will all change.

Lot to learn

• A nice day out you had, with lovely weather as well. Indeed as Gaynor says, wait until the males arrive, then the noise and fun and games will begin!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Your photos of the Corvids bringing out their glossy feathers is lovely Hazy, I like the Doe having a lie down in the long grass too, very atmospheric.

Lot to learn

• Stunning photos Hazel, nice to see the fallow and red deer, plus the jackdaws always seem to take a good photo.

• We're currently staying up in Silverdale area and visiting Leighton Moss each day.    Lots of species to be seen such as Red deer, otters, Marsh Harriers, Bitterns and lots of herons from from Grey to Great Egrets and a lovely female Kingfisher.    Here's a selection of the sightings I did get on camera ................

but first we'll start with an odd looking duck ............. this is a hybrid mix of Cinnamon Teal X Shoveler  

a Great Egret pretending to be Concorde  !       

There were 3 Great Egrets so here's more piccies .........

3 great egrets flew in but these two landed in the tree just under the cormorant !   

A female Kingfisher was showing well this morning at the salt marsh area ............

Grey and Great 

and Little Egret .....

Marsh Tit 

Bearded reedlings were visiting the grit trays 

Marsh Harriers were quartering the reed beds 

That's enough overload for now.  !     thanks for looking. 

Regards, Hazel 

• That's a lovely set Hazel, just wondering....what do bearded seedlings grow in to? :o) Fab to see the heron varieties, always a joy with a Kingie (Queenie) showing. Super Marsh Tit pics, and what a strinking duck!! Thanks for sharing :o)
  • PimperneBloke said:
    what do bearded seedlings grow in to?

LOL PB,    they grow into bearded tits  !!!    thanks for spotting the typo.     Also thanks for looking through the pics and for your kind comments.   

Regards, Hazel