An escape to Charlecote Park Sat 20th Aug

I'm getting pretty frustrated with not being able to get outdoors, and when I do, all the hard work undertaken by the practice nurse gets undone.

Groan over, for the day delivered all I expected, and a plus.

Charlecote Park is good for the Jacob Sheep and fallow deer all year through, and up to mid-September, house martins as well, before they fly south for the winter. The plus, well you'll just have to stick with me, I'll reveal as I go along.

The forecast was mixed, depending who you believe, so I took the chance that it was going to be generally dry with the risk of a brief shower or two around midday. That was my own forecast based on studying the Eumetsat sequenced animation following the cloud flows, and my guess was pretty close.

It was a second outing for the new R5, and though I did take with me the 2x extender, it didn't get used.

So, to start, the (I think anyway) photogenic long drive from car park to gatehouse

The first sighting, a white wagtail, of which there were quite a few.

A random weather vane photo, that was totally unintentional, I just pressed the shutter and missed the high flying house martin!

But it was a nice clear photo....

Back to the intended photos, the house martins with their nests on the south facing wall of the house, departing the nests after feeding the brood...

The Jacob sheep sheltering from the sun

Likewise so were the fallow doe's

A parliament of crows having a fly past....

More Jacob sheep, this looks like one of this years lambs

Poser or what!

A fallow doe running from something

and finally coming to rest, but still a little uneasy....

While watching the Jacob sheep and fallow doe's, I was getting buzzed by what I initially thought were house martins, but to my surprise and the person I was chatting to at the time, they were actually swallows!

Back to the house martins.

Peek-a-boo

I'm coming in with dinner....

The flying frenzy.

more food coming in...

Feeding time...

off to get some more....

A fly past of some mallard ducks...

Back to the feeding frenzy....

and under the archway of the gatehouse, which is on the east side as you approach the house.....

Pee-a-boo

Peek-a-boo times two....

About bloomin' time, I'm starving....

That's the end of the house martins photos, now the fallow bucks.

Chewing the cud....

Yes, just like cattle, deer also chew the cud.

Most of the fallow bucks have their antlers, some still have the velvet, which provides the blood supply to the growing antlers, and must be annoying when it dangles over their heads.

This is a cropped closeup of two bucks trying to remove each others velvet, unsuccessfully. The antlers kept getting in the way, but full marks for teamwork.

Just as I was about to pack the camera and lenses away, something caught my eye as it flew in to the trees sheltering the fallow bucks.

Uncropped at 400mm zoom,

Did you see it?

A greater spotted woodpecker, possibly female, I couldn't see any signs of red on the head in the next cropped photo

The end of a very pleasant but short, wander around Charlecote Park, and as always, no matter what, a pleasant one.

• I'm getting pretty frustrated off with not being able to get outdoors, and when I do, all the hard work undertaken by the practice nurse gets undone.

Sorry. I didn’t see your post.
    I know what it’s like to get frustrated with not being able to go outdoors. Also Iv had situations just like the one you have described lots of times aswell before Due to mental health issues or other complications even some i havnt even mentioned

Charlecote park is good for the Jacob Sheep and fallow deer all year through, and up to mid-September, house martins as well, before they fly south for the winter. The plus, well you'll just have to stick with me, I'll reveal as I go along.

The forecast was mixed, depending who you believe, so I took the chance that it was going to be generally dry with the risk of a brief shower or two around midday. That was my own forecast based on studying the Eumetsat sequenced animation following the cloud flows, and my guess was pretty close.

It was a second outing for the new R5, and though I did take with me the 2x extender, it didn't get used.

Yes that’s a greater spotted woodpecker the reason you can’t see the red is cause of the angle your in 
     I think it’s funny that you acidently got a clear photo of the weather vane when you tryed to get a photo of the flying House Martin.  There’s a place called pranknash abbey deer Deer park that I used to go to but it’s closed now. I have place like Charlecote park that is nearby 
    It’s called Dyrham park. I havnt been there yet though.
    I think those are very good photos of the house Martins and Exspeacially the deer aswell.

• Super set of photos Mike and good to see you getting out and about despite the struggle; just love those House Martins and so good to see the young; the flight captures with your new R5 are fantastic and well done spotting the GSW hiding in the branches. The deer are handsome animals and the fallow have such beautiful markings as have the sheep. Well done for making the effort and also on your fabulous photos, that new gear is really giving excellent results and super clarity with you at the controls so thanks for sharing.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow Mike good to see your still managing to get out and about but not as much as you would like I am sure. Your photos with your R5 are so sharp, I love the photos of the Fallow deer, there beautiful, as are all your photos well done Mike.
  • Super photos Mike. Sorry it's being so frustrating with your leg. The new kit is performing well and picking up that extra detail and depth especially in that portrait photo of the Jacob. Super clarity in the eye and eyelashes.
    More please as and when you are able

Cin J

• Well done, Mike, some lovely clear images there. We have a herd of fallow locally, but not very accessible to the public, leaning over a fence alongside a busy road with only a grass verge isn't conducive to a long stay to get better shots lol. As you say, good to be out and about, whether it's a bumper wildlife day, or a quiet day... just being out is good for the soul!
    Thanks for sharing
  • Zo Clark said:

I'm getting pretty frustrated off with not being able to get outdoors, and when I do, all the hard work undertaken by the practice nurse gets undone.

Sorry. I didn’t see your post.
    I know what it’s like to get frustrated with not being able to go outdoors. Also Iv had situations just like the one you have described lots of times aswell before Due to mental health issues or other complications even some i havnt even mentioned

Charlecote park is good for the Jacob Sheep and fallow deer all year through, and up to mid-September, house martins as well, before they fly south for the winter. The plus, well you'll just have to stick with me, I'll reveal as I go along.

Yes that’s a greater spotted woodpecker the reason you can’t see the red is cause of the angle your in 
     I think it’s funny that you acidently got a clear photo of the weather vane when you tryed to get a photo of the flying House Martin.  There’s a place called pranknash abbey deer   park that I used to go to but it’s closed now. I have place like Charlecote park that is nearby 
    It’s called Dyrham park. I havnt been there yet though.
    I think those are very good photos of the house Martins and Exspeacially the deer aswell.

Thank you Zo, and no worries about not seeing  the post sooner, we all have that problem from time to time.

I'm guilty as charged, a very bad patient, or lack of patience, and I'm sure you realise, I would never give any grief to those who care for me, paid or otherwise. I was just having a bit of a moan, letting off a little steam.

I was extremely pleased with the housemartin photos, particularly as I'm not as mobile as I would normally be. I had to sit down to take the photos of them in flight, which did make it more difficult, so to get the two photos against the blue sky, was pure jubilation for me.

Normally I would be standing, which allows a reasonable amount of body twist to follow the flight path, and hence the wind vane photo.   Grinning

• Unknown said:

Super set of photos Mike and good to see you getting out and about despite the struggle; just love those House Martins and so good to see the young; the flight captures with your new R5 are fantastic and well done spotting the GSW hiding in the branches. The deer are handsome animals and the fallow have such beautiful markings as have the sheep. Well done for making the effort and also on your fabulous photos, that new gear is really giving excellent results and super clarity with you at the controls so thanks for sharing.

Thank you Hazel.

I really am very impressed with the R5, and considering the mobility restrictions being greater than normal, to get the two housemartins in flight so clearly, was pure jubilation for me.

In other good news, the practice nurse was a little anxious when I told her what I'd done over the weekend and the leakage that followed. However, what she saw yesterday she was very pleased with the continued progress. Depending on the next few days, a new weekend regime of missing  a days dressing change is being seriously considered.

That means, weather permitting, an uninterrupted day out somewhere local.   Wink

• i love robins said:
    Wow Mike good to see your still managing to get out and about but not as much as you would like I am sure. Your photos with your R5 are so sharp, I love the photos of the Fallow deer, there beautiful, as are all your photos well done Mike.

Thank you ILR.

I know a lot is down to the photographer, but the R5 is certainly doing a very good job in so many ways, and definitely a good investment.

• Germain said:
    Super photos Mike. Sorry it's being so frustrating with your leg. The new kit is performing well and picking up that extra detail and depth especially in that portrait photo of the Jacob. Super clarity in the eye and eyelashes.

More please as and when you are able

Thank you Cin.

There's only one person I blame for my situation, and that was the motorist who ran the red light. I dare not share publicly my thoughts or I'd be locked up and the key discarded.  Wink 

But I have full respect for the nursing staff (the nurse is considering a day of no dressing change over the bank holiday weekend if current progress continues, see my reply to Hazel) doing all they can for me, and there will be more to follow, soon all being well, hopefully this coming weekend.

• PimperneBloke said:
    Well done, Mike, some lovely clear images there. We have a herd of fallow locally, but not very accessible to the public, leaning over a fence alongside a busy road with only a grass verge isn't conducive to a long stay to get better shots lol. As you say, good to be out and about, whether it's a bumper wildlife day, or a quiet day... just being out is good for the soul!

Thanks for sharing

Thank you PB.

That's a shame about the nearby fallow deer herd.

Check out some of the larger nearby National Trust properties, there are a few that will have deer and often in easy view.

Depending on which side of the Thames you live (I recall the fun the Dartford crossing both ways can give), Charlecote is a couple of hours drive from Thurrock, M25, M40, ten minutes drive from J16 and you're there.

It's probably quicker than Slimbridge.