Here's a few quick pics taken on a visit to Burton Mere today;  

First up was a Great Egret close to the Visitor Centre

Lots of butterflies around,  this one is the Peacock 

anf a rather tatty Comma ....

bit of a blurry Small tortoiseshell 

Gatekeeper methinks 

they seem to have added ponies to help keep habitat in order  

female Common Darter 

Not sure about this wader but methinks it could be a Ruff.  ?

same bird amongst the flock of lapwings ....

and get your scope out to see this pair;    the larger one should be a Dunlin (R) and the smaller a Little Stint (L)...... sadly too far away for a decent photo 

they are there but just too small to see.  lol.  

you still won't be able to see the Little Stint lol  ........but it is there   !!     a nice find, especially if I listed birds 

one of three snipe 

• More lovely Butterflies....must just be my area that has none lol...Nice to see the snipe and Great Egret..Little Stint sure is little...thanks for sharing Hazel :-)
  • Nice to see you out and about and clicking again Hazel, lovely variety :o)

Thanks for sharing
  • Hi Hazel,
    Some great finds on that trip, not seen a Ruff or Little Stint for ages.
    Well done,
    Trevor
  • Nice to share Burton Mere with you Hazy, nearly got there a couple of years ago with the birding group I was with at that time. I have never seen a Ruff (as far as I know) lol, and definitely not the Little Stint, so good to see your pics, also love the Snipe, a very handsome bird.
  • Hi Hazel It looks like you had a nice day with a nice collection of different birds and butterflies and a nice photo of the snipe. Well done Hazel.
  • Good to see you out and about again Hazel.

I'm inclined to agree with your gatekeeper ID, the double white  spots on the black rings usually give them away. The water level around the GWE looked a little low on the Scrape in front of the visitor centre.

I wonder if you saw any swallows?

I recall when I joined you and Mike July last year, they, along with house martins and a linnet or two, were gathering on the power lines the far side of Bunker Hide.

• Michael B said:

We did see a lot of hirundines but think they were mainly House Martin which were picking off insects above the surrounding grasslands.

• Unknown said:

Michael B said:

We did see a lot of hirundines but think they were mainly House Martin which were picking off insects above the surrounding grasslands.

There will still be swallows for some, and likewise swifts, as you know, Robbo has nesting swifts.

I was taken aback yesterday at Charlecote Park to see swallows, and possibly at least two pairs, though I know the house martins, which are quite plentiful at Charlecote, are often there until at least mid-September.

I'm itching to get back to Burton Mere, but long drives are a bit too uncomfortable at the moment.