Last Week, Blashford Lakes, Ringwood

So a week or so ago, my car service was due, and for the warranty it needed to be manufacturers service, so I pootled to Salisbury. The forecast wasn't great, but was dry, so I popped the camera in and decided on Blashford as I've not been there in a while.

From the first hide (through glass mostly) a bit of drama unfolded, but firstly, a juvenile Stonechat was practising balancing on thin stems, several times, it dropped into the undergrowth out of sight, only to flutter back up to a variety of different stalks

One of the regular birders there pointed out a Little Ringed Plover, and said that they had bred, and had 3 chicks

Unfortunately, two had been predated. And then, a matter of seconds later.... so was the third, by a Black Headed Gull

A few minutes later, and the adult was foraging, as if nothing had happened

A juvenile Wagtail perched on a post in front of us

As I'd not taken any lunch with me, and wanted a photographic bash at the Sand Martin wall, I headed round to that hide, on the way a Speckled Wood

And a Common Blue Damsel posed quite nicely

I wasn't in the best position in the hide to view the wall, but straight ahead a Common Sandpiper was on a railing

Sharing it with another Wagtail

An urgent whisper..... "Kingfisher, this side"

I think the collective will of the 4 or 5 of us there made him come closer 

All the while, I had half an eye on the Sand Martins, and some Emperor Dragons were fizzing about... and the Kingie was still there....where to look!!?? Don't you just hate getting something caught in the back of your throat

Shall I lay here

Or shall I move over here

"Come clossssserrrrrrrrrrrrr, Kingie"

Had no luck with the diving shots.... But yummm... crayfish (maybe!!)

I randomly fired off about 150 shots at the Sand Martins... this was the best of a rubbish bunch!! (The poor light didn't help the speed of my lens focussing, not did it being me holding the camera Joy)

I thought I had one, but realised it wasn't flying "right", and when I got home I spotted the damsel the Waggie was chasing!!

And so concluded an eventful couple of hours, seeing nature at its most brutal, and its most stunning.

Hope you enjoyed

Stay Safe All